Model Cars Magazine Forum

No buying or selling allowed here!

Oh. That explains the mirage. Coulda swore the desert wind had gotten to me.

Just as an aside: about 10 years ago I acquired 5 or 6 of the Pocher Porsche 911 1/8 kits. I was appalled at the poor quality of everything except the colored (black) body and panels. I started fooling with the engine lump and came up with a pretty good detailing regimen for each, along with a way to turn the fugly red rubber seats into very real-looking textured and colored vinyl. But after doing one I decided I really didn't care much for the whole car, so I put out the word that I'd custom build the rest to suit for a pretty reasonable price.

I had lots of takers, but I warned tham that it was a very slow process and to expect at least 3 months to get their cars. I picked the 5 that said they'd go by my standards and started the building process. It was a grind from the start. The body panels had to be sanded and all the edges needed far more attention because they rose up above the level of the skin (causing the primer/paint to be polished off along the edge immediately). These cars are large brutes and using the Porsche colors like Guard's Red and their own Yellow, and German Silver used a LOT of paint. My paint area was covered with overspray and took ridiculous time to clean up.

Anyway, I forced myself to complete each one: red and silver coupes, and then a bright yellow cabriolet that required scratch building a top and reshaping the windshield. That one was at least a challenge of some intrigue, but the coupes were just plain drudgery. I think I only charged about $300-600 for the labor so I really didn't pay for my time, but they did turn out to be quite the showpieces considering their size and how they started.

But the point is this: any thoughts I had of building any more kits of any kind for others was gone. I had done a few 1/25 scale and some 1/8 motorcycles, and a Pocher Mercedes for the BlackHawk Museum, but these Pochers really wore me down. Sometimes people think this is a good way to make a few bucks because they like to build for themselves. NOT! If you are hyper-anal about detail and quality (and your reputation) you'll drive yourself insane trying to get a car "right".....and then handing or shipping it off to never see it again. My mind doesn't work that way. Not all my projects live up to the standards that some builders can achieve, but I create "art" with each one that cannot be replicated (which is why I have some award-winning cars from many years ago that have come apart and I just cannot go back and re-do them again).

There are a few builders who can make the hardest projects become museum pieces (Dennis Kobeler for one), and will pass them on. I found out I just can't do it....and that some people really shouldn't try. :)

Edited by deja-view

That's fine by me, as long as I can get the government to cover the expenses of my habit/addiction, or at least make my employer (or its healthcare insurer) provide me with all the plastic kits I need to keep me healthy and sane ...

;):lol:

That's fine by me, as long as I can get the government to cover the expenses of my habit/addiction, or at least make my employer (or its healthcare insurer) provide me with all the plastic kits I need to keep me healthy and sane ...

;):lol:

I'm sure most of us would qualify as OCD nutballs. That's gotta classify as some kind of compensable disability.

"I just can't help myself, Doc. Saaaay....that's a nice bookshelf you got there, Doc. I bet I could display 10 more models on it. And, your tie is the perfect color for this '32 coupe I've been thinking about buying. Could you loan me $30, Doc?"

Oh great, now what am I supposed to do with this bridge I'm trying to sell??????? :o

Near my hometown a couple of guys actually did successfully tear down and sell a bridge. It was no longer in use obviously. But the funniest thing is.................no one noticed it was gone for almost a week! They were later caught but still that'd be one heck of a funny way to end up in jail.

Edited by Patrick2005

Harry I have connections and they tell me you are a heck of a builder . Well I

for one as a pretty new member want to see ! Show us some your handywork .....

I've already posted a ton of my work here over the years. I don't want to do "reruns"... :D