Model Cars Magazine Forum

polishing paint

Hey, I'm new to the forum. I've got a quick question for all you out there. I've started back into the hobby after a 20+ year leave. I am wanting to try my luck at polishing the paint on my models. Have any of you ever tried using a buffing wheel on a Dremel tool and polishing compound? I was wondering if there might be an issue of too much heat build up or easy burn through? Should I just stick with doing it by hand?

Personally...I wouldn't do it. I thought it would be an easier and faster way to do it. Got away with it once, I'm talking about Danbury Mint die-cast models, and on the second model...well, the wheel slipped and the screw on retainer hit the paint. Now I have a nice die-cast car...on one side. Polishing a plastic model, I still wouldn't do it. You kind of answered your own question. You risk burning through the paint and even worse...you might heat up the plastic and warp it. Hand polish the car if you must.

Well I must be the only one that polishes paint using a Minicraft drill and a cotton polishing mop, been doing it that for years, and never had a problem,

CIMG4126.jpg

I set it to around speed # 3, just take things easy, and don't spend too much time on one spot.

neet!i have somthing like that? i riged up a light switch dimmer to mine LOL it goes anywere from 0 to wide open LOL (its not good for the tool to run so slow youll need to clean motor of tool often and replace motor brushes) but i tell you it is allways better by hand and slow under water best results and a bit more pride.