Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hop up 1925 T

Mr.Zombie

Thanks, I have a tiny update for you. It is really not much, but in my world it is a giant step forward, and a cool Idea I guess.

I was a bit annoyed by the aircleaners, they are not molded right, they are croocket, the chrome bleed out, they have sinkmarks and so on. I had no Idea what to do with them, and planned to leave them as they were, but the more I was looking at the engine, the brakes, wheels, and the more I considered how much time I spent on trying to make it as real as possible (for my standards anyhow, I am far beyond many people around here), the more I thought that whatever I would do with the rest of the car those aircleaners would give it away as a model.

Today I was at my garage, working on my real cars, and we were tinkering with the ignition when my buddy came up with a box full of electric stuff. All kinds of things, wires, clamps and whatever one might need. Now, I know what they are, and know what they are for, but no idea what they are called in english. Basically they are little metal tubes, that you put over an end of a cable, squeeze, and have a nice end of a cable, and then you can mount it on a clamp, or screw on somewhere. They are kind of protection things for the cable itself, and look like that: http://www.conrad.de...FB.EPS_1000.jpg .They come in different lengths and materials. I looked thru the box, and choose four that were equaly "pretty" with an even collar, and most round.

Once home I first put them over the end of a brush handle (because they are squeezy, and the wood helps keeping the round shape while sanding and so on), cut 2/3 off, and sanded smooth and flat. Then I took the already glued chassis, and carefully cut off the original aircleaners without damaging anything (especially the mimic, which was not very easy, I have a talent for messing up stuff), and then I just glued them into place. They are in fact even, just looks like the one in the back is a bit shorter, because the engine ist tilt a bit.

Tomorrow I will black out the insides and maybe add a wiremesh inside to add some detail. I leave them as they are, no paint, since all that fiddeling gave 'em a nice patina that goes along with the rest of the car.

Tada!

pict5941.jpg

pict5944.jpg

Vrrrroooooooommmmm!

Have a good night folks. Here is 3 am on Sunday. No Idea what day is where you are.

Edited by Mr.Zombie

Today I sat at my workbench for few hours, but what I had to do was just tideous stuff. So not much happened. Basically I glued all the bits and pieces together that were mising around the engine except fuellines and wires from the generator.

The generator got a tiny scratch built relais, the starter just paint, the two coolant tubes were changed a bit. I have some ruber sticky tape that I cut into pieces and glued around kit parts with clamps out of BMF. The Generator got it's first wire (the second goes into the firewall, so that'll wait) and I added some bolts here and there.

Then, or actually before that, I finished painting all that stuff. Some more drybrushing, some more chalks, and a final wash in choosen areas, and the engine is a blast. I also added tiny wiremesh discs inside of the carburettorpipes.

As for now glued on 49 scratch bits, (not counting the bodymods), and I'm digging this little thing.

Btw, the grille is still borrowed, Revell doesn't answer my mails...

Pics!

pict5949.jpg

pict5952.jpg

pict5953.jpg

pict5954.jpg

I am really digging the stance and overall look of that thing. I think that the carbstacks and repainting the engine was well worth the effort, it comes together exactly the way I'd build one, and to be honest, I will have a look out for a model A chassis to replicate that in real life. I mean, as for the moment, I can't imagine what would be more fun than speeding around countryroads in that bucket...

pict5955.jpg

Needs a safari window though. But I have a brilliant Idea for that.

pict5956.jpg

pict5959.jpg

I am thinking if I use decals for the doors (just a number), or if I should write something on them. Needs a detail there, but what'll be?

pict5962.jpg

pict5963.jpg

And a little size comparsion for all of you who have no idea how small the A chassis actually is...

pict5966.jpg

See you next time. Tomorrow I'll spent some time with headlights to give this lil' hot rod some face.

Edited by Mr.Zombie

I am quite sure it is not bigger than 1:25. The Zippo gives it away. And detail... Yea. The more I look at the pics the more I see all the mistakes, little problems and so on. The Engine is a size of a quarter, and in "real" you don't see all the fitting mistakes, sinkmarks and so on... Especially when you blow it up to 800 x 600 where the engine is 10 times bigger than the real thing.

It's looking great! I love your attention to detail. Every time you make a change it becomes so much more real. I love the cable brakes. Your colors are really coming together for you also. Keep it going, you are going to have one cool hot rod.

TOM YOU NAILED IT! Gow Job is the word that rings in my head the whole time while I build this thing. And believe it or not, this five minutes:

... Are more inspirational than all the pics I have of all this cars. If I inspire somebody, than that's a great reward. Thanks.

But back to the workshop. I don't have much, although what I did, I spent the better part of two evenings on, because I had to do four things at the same time.

I cleaned the steering column, but without the firewall I didn't know the angle it had to have, and without a steering wheel also no Idea how much room I had in the cab. Same goes for the dashboard, kind of important to be there when you estimate the angle of the collumn. So I cleaned up all this stuff, and used bluetag or whatever you call this adhesive gum, and some LEGO Bricks and build myself a rig that allowed me to estimate all that.

I modified the T firewall by cutting off the fuelpumps, and a slot for the steering collumn. I used the measurments of the A Firewall to estimate how deep I should cut and added a couple of millimeters for play. I cut off the fuse box, that I'll scratch eventually, and put on one of the fuel pumps on the right side kind of eyeballing the position so it cleared the carbs and all that stuff. I modified the pump aswell, I figured that It'll take more time drilling the hole for the fuelline, than redo that stuff. So I drilled a hole in the firewall, fed a bit of wire thru that will become fuelline eventually, and put a tiny bit of tube at the beginning. Kind of like this:

pict5973.jpg

The cut off end will be lengtend by some soft tube, and will run to the carbs eventually, Maybe I'll cut it off a bit different aswell, we'll see. The fuelpump will get some color, the firewall some stickers maybe. Maybe a cream color, or whatever. I dunno yet, it is not glued in place yet anyhow.

I also cleaned the T dashboard, but after I painted it I figured it looks crappy, so I'll scratch that aswell, and just used it for adjusting the steering collumn.

Then I used the adhesive gum and attached the steering collumn to the steering rack and the wheel o the collumn. Now, the collumn was at about 75 degrees at the beginning, I put the body over it that way forcing the collumn in the right position, after I did some adjustments thru the side window making sure the steering wheel has plenty of space to the side walls and the door, took the body off, made myslef a rig out of LEGO Bricks, that I aglined with the second crossmember basically I stacked plates until they touched the collumn from underneath, then removed the gum, put some glue on the steering rack, glued in the collumn simply leaned on the bricks, and waited until it dries. Simple.

As I was painting anyhow, I decided that I'll remove the ejector marks that I forgot on the back side of the radiator. I was very carefull but managed to break it off. Well, after I had the radiator back in my hands, I figured that I can also add some mesh on the inside. It is not quite the pattern a radiator should have, but it certainly looks better than plain black plastic. The mesh is actually from a tea pot, you know the one where you put tea in, and after you pour water over, you squeeze the tealeaves down? I broke one of them, but kept this mesh.

After glueing that back on, the engine compartment looks like that:

pict5967.jpg

pict5969.jpg

pict5971.jpg

The corners of the mesh won't be seen anyhow.

I found a Model A grille shell btw. It was not chromed, but yea... Maybe Revell sends me one afterall. We'll see. After that I made some pics as usual, to see where I'm at, and to motivate myself to finish that thing.

pict5974.jpg

If I may suggest something, put your models together as far as you can every evening after building. The motivation you get by seeing how it comes together is more worth than what you actually did that evening so it comes together...

pict5975.jpg

pict5976.jpg

I kind of begin to think if it was such a brilliant Idea to blackwall this one tire... Maybe I'll leave the tan rim, but scrub the paint of the white? Who knows.

See you next time.

Edited by Mr.Zombie

TOM YOU NAILED IT! Gow Job is the word that rings in my head the whole time while I build this thing. And believe it or not, this five minutes:

... Are more inspirational than all the pics I have of all this cars. If I inspire somebody, than that's a great reward. Thanks.

pict5969.jpg

pict5971.jpg

pict5974.jpg

I LOVE that brake linkage. Like was said above, I would convert to juice brakes for my own. I have for some friends on their hotrods. But you did an awesome job of scratchbuilding that! Simple, yet looks VERY scale. As to your inspirational video that's a fellow my dad worked for some 60 years ago. Dad had never told me that he worked for Isky. But one time in the late 70s, he and I went to another cam maker's shop. Norris Cams in Van Nuys, California, about a mile from where my mom grew up and lives today, to get a new cam for the Baja Bug you see in my signature. The owner, Norris Baronian enthusiastically greeted my dad as a long-lost pal he hadn't seen for many years. They talked for a couple of hours about the old days when they worked together at Isky and all their old pals in common. I'm really not sure now if they worked there before my dad joined the Air Force in '48, or after he got out in '51.

An old friend of mine, Wes Cooper talked about going to the dry lakes for the 1st time (for him) when he was 12 years old. it was 1927 and he and his mom were out for a weekend drive. They lived in Glendale and were in what is now Santa Clarita. They stopped at the Solemint Store for gas. There was a group of "gow jobs and hot irons" (Wes' words in telling me the story) that pulled up for the same purpose. The cars excited Wes. They were on their way to El Mirage Dry Lake (about 10 miles east of where I live and visible out my kitchen window, Muroc Lake that Isky talks about is about 20 miles north of my house, but not visible due to the higher ground in between) for a speed competition. Wes' mom decided they could go along and see what it was about. Wes told me he figured his mom had NO idea how far out into the desert they were going. Wes wound up passing away at an SCTA meet at El Mirage in the mid 1990s with a time slip in his hand for the 34 Ford coupe he was a partner in and engine builder for (Cooper, Donovan and Creel..."Donovan" as in Donovan racing engine blocks and cylinder heads). His partner, Roy Creel had just upped the record in their class for flathead engined coupe by 12mph on that run (HUGE increase). Wes and buddy Ray Basso were in Ray's pickup truck down the side of the course doing "Patrol" duty and Wes had fallen asleep and was napping. He died in his sleep of heart failure. He had never stopped going to the lakes events for nearly 70 years except when they were shut down by WWII.

Thanks for sharing Rick! Love those old stories!

As for the conversion, I dunno, I think I'd run mechanical brakes for a while. They worked then, should work now, the speeds those things are capapble of aren't giant, and juice brakes don't provide todays standards in breaking anyhow. So whatever you do, you'll have to be carefull.

In scale, this gives a fantastic detail, and I haven't seen that done before, so I went for that.

Edited by Mr.Zombie

Today not much happened. I figured that I'll build the headlights, and finding suitable ones took an hour, and buildng their supports about three. Each support is made out of 6 scratch build pieces, and the headlights mount just like on the real car. At this point they still can be taken on and off their supports, just like that without damaging a thing. Each light has a hole drilled underneath, and a tiny piece of wire glued in that sticks out just about half a milimeter. The frame got two holes for the supports, then I cut out tiny rectangular pieces of metal foil, and drilled a hole in the middle of each one, two bolts per piece and I could glue them on aglining them over the holes in the frame. Then I took two pieces of wire, bent them to my likning and on one end I glued on a tiny piece of tube (that I drilled before, so the wire has something to hold on to). Now. The supports were glued into the frame, and now I can "pin" the lights in and out as much as I want, and in the end I just agline them, and glue into place.

pict5977.jpg

pict5979.jpg

As you can see the right light (the left on the pic) needs trimming the wire pin, but that is a detail. I dunno iw I like them there, or if it's too high. Might add a wire across the supports, No Idea yet.

pict5982.jpg

Each light gets it's own cable of course.

And here, Now I am kind of happy with the wheels, decided that the beige rim needs a whitewall too.

pict5983.jpg

Will stay like this, no more changing mind.

So long.

Did not like the headlights whatsoever, so I modified T lights to fit my bill. Painted them with Chromespray, the black, after that I used a sharp knive and a toothpick to scrape off some of it on the headlightframe, Then I BMF the insides, what sounds so easy written took me about 3 hours. 3 Minutes for the first one, and 2 hours 57 minutes and half a sheet BMF for the second. Then I glued in the bulbs, and the glass. After that I tried to touch up the frames a bit and some of the paint ended up on the glass, tried to remove it and f'''ed up. The glass went blind, Couldn't find a replacement, so I tossed that thing in a corner and went for a thinking cigarette.

After I came back I figured that the biege tire might have a reason, if that car was racing, and blew a tire, the bits and pieces might have damaged the reflector aswell, So i cut tiny pieces of transparent tape and glued it all over the blind reflector, two black "Gafa" stripes hold it in place. Then I added two wires to each lamp and that's basically what I did the last two days, and I am still not sure about the headlights...

pict6005.jpg

pict6006.jpg

pict6007.jpg

pict5995.jpg

nice headlight stands! man that is a very kool, very different looking build. love it!

edit: oh i forgot to say:

> 3 Minutes for the first one, and 2 hours 57 minutes and half a sheet BMF for the second.

isnt that the way it always works out, the first of a pair is a breeze just to lead you down the path!

excellent build there.

Edited by jbwelda

Can you tell me two things:

1. How exactly did you get that front grill trim to be rusty like that?

2. Where did you get those un-weathered wheels/tires?

Im new to this hobby and want to start on a project but I need to know how to weather it rusty like that, and to find a pair of steel rims and whitewalls. Thanks