Model Cars Magazine Forum

How are the Italeri Kits?

Looking to branch out to building Truck models and i really the the looks of the Italeri kits, how are they as far a quality detail and fit?

These are the couple i have been looking at.

Italeri Man TGA w/dumper trailer 553863

Italeri Far west trucking 709

Italeri Peterbilt 377 western star trucking baywatch kit

Italeri´s Peterbilt 377 is one of the most accurate kits on the market. I am building one myself now and I didn´t find any fit issues yet. The only inaccuracy is the firewall. Some of the elements are flipped in left - right direction.

The Baywatch WS on the other hand is very inaccurate kit, both the tractor and the trailer. The frame and engine is generic, the truck is RH steering version (you can make an Australian prime mover out of it, the kit includes all the Aussie parts), the trailer is too low with simplified suspension and has identical wheels with the tractor´s drives. Some vital parts are mising in my kit, like the king pin and its mount. I heard that the kit has a hood fit problem.

I do not know the MAN kit but I built the dump trailer. The kit is accurate, great quality of details, everything fits okay. There are some boxes in the back of the trame which are simplified, I think. All the three axles are equipped with lifting air bags which is wrong. At least one of them has to be solid. You have to cut the air bags off even if you leave all the axles dropped.

I hope that helps.

Edited by truckabilly

I don't know about any of the ones you mention but I found the Italeri Volvo VN780 a pretty straight forward build , some minor hassles lining the parts of the bonnet and body up but that may also have been my lack of experience with building a truck as this was my first attempt at a truck . Just a shame it is essentially a kerbside kit and doesn't have an engine to build/detail .