Model Cars Magazine Forum

mack logger progress

• 2 weeks later...

Truely awesome looking off roader, l love those tires, is this from a Mack truck kit? The yellow tanks and parts have a very familiar look about them, not to mention the Detroit Diesel engine, are these Ertl kit parts?

Hope to see this one when it's all done up!

Bruce

Thanks to all for the comments! For Bruce; the truck is loosely based on the old DM 800 kit; the tires are resin units cast from the simba fire truck....the yellow parts are from the old payhauler; and the detroit 12 is from the super boss kit....The water tank/head ache rack is scratched form sheet stock; as will be the pre load 5th wheel and ramps....the truck is pretty big; and will have a pre-load trailer to match...I have gotten the engine and tranny in; and am starting to do all of the plumbing on the frame for air, and water sytems....lot of fun; I will post updated px as I make a bit more progress; Thanks to all for looking........matt

This sounds like a great build, the plumbing is a stalling point on my Payhauler build, (I knew those fuel cells were very familiar)..

If I could count the hours I've spent looking up at the underside of a five ton tandem truck, I'd have a good shot at plumbing in the air lines on my Payhauler at least, but the components on my model just seem too different. Do you have any kind of a diagram or schematic drawing for routing lines, or do you use your best judgement and an educated guess?

Bruce

Bruce; on this truck, I a just using common sense for the routing of the lines; as this unit is so different from typical highway trucks....things like the power steering will pretty much be the same...but doing the two seperate Hydraulic systems is a pain for sure....air line routing will pretty much be typical....but bigger...due the suspension height, longer flex lines are required; and I have searched a bunch through Hanks truck pix to find some shots of water lines and valve setups for the rear brake water lines....most of the plumbing is done in simple brass or copper rod, and even guitar strings (metal) ; as they have that nice coiled sheath! I am using resin filters and 4 way valves that I have cast up ...the easy way for me to get it all in there is just to do it system by system....tedious for sure; but I think it will add much realism to the model....again , Thanks to all...............matt

• 2 years later...

Bruce; on this truck, I a just using common sense for the routing of the lines; as this unit is so different from typical highway trucks....things like the power steering will pretty much be the same...but doing the two seperate Hydraulic systems is a pain for sure....air line routing will pretty much be typical....but bigger...due the suspension height, longer flex lines are required; and I have searched a bunch through Hanks truck pix to find some shots of water lines and valve setups for the rear brake water lines....most of the plumbing is done in simple brass or copper rod, and even guitar strings (metal) ; as they have that nice coiled sheath! I am using resin filters and 4 way valves that I have cast up ...the easy way for me to get it all in there is just to do it system by system....tedious for sure; but I think it will add much realism to the model....again , Thanks to all...............matt

Can you post any links to photos of the water-cooled brakes? I grew up on on a steep road with logging at the top, all the trucks had water-cooled brakes. I have asked about how to plumb this on another model truck board that shall remain nameless, no-one had any idea what I was talking about. I REALLY want to install this system on on a LW920 Kenworth logger I have been planning for some time, not knowing how to plumb the water-cooled brakes has kept me from starting on this.

Searched "water-cooled brakes" on Hanks, found a little bit, but it referred to water-cooled brakes as being used prior to the advent of jake brakes. The trucks that were running down Silver Valley Rd. when I was a kid in the '60s had both. They were really something to see, loud as hell, steam and spray pouring off them. You could even tell when one had passed before you got there, as there would be twin trails of water on the road, where the steam had condensed. It was really something...

Hey Guys; Hadn't seen this one in a long time! I'll try to answer the questions....1st (status): I "back-burnered" this project; and it sat for a long time; it ended up going to a modeler in NY, who used the chassis to put a PACIFIC Or HAYES resin conversion on...he said it turned out Fantastic, as all the chassis work was already done....as for the wet brakes; I di see some in cab photos of either pacific or hayes trucks; maybe on Hank's. In the photos you could see ordinary plumbing pipe that had been run in the back of the cab, and had valves (just like your garden hose spigot) on all four lines...these looked to be maybe 1" pipe....As I understand: the big tank behind the cab was filled with water...by opening the valves at the drivers left hand; it allowed gravity to let the water run down from the tank, through the valves; and then into reduces lines that ran along the frame; and then turned down and out to point at the brake drums....I hope this info is of soome help.......matt

Hey Guys; Hadn't seen this one in a long time! I'll try to answer the questions....1st (status): I "back-burnered" this project; and it sat for a long time; it ended up going to a modeler in NY, who used the chassis to put a PACIFIC Or HAYES resin conversion on...he said it turned out Fantastic, as all the chassis work was already done....as for the wet brakes; I di see some in cab photos of either pacific or hayes trucks; maybe on Hank's. In the photos you could see ordinary plumbing pipe that had been run in the back of the cab, and had valves (just like your garden hose spigot) on all four lines...these looked to be maybe 1" pipe....As I understand: the big tank behind the cab was filled with water...by opening the valves at the drivers left hand; it allowed gravity to let the water run down from the tank, through the valves; and then into reduces lines that ran along the frame; and then turned down and out to point at the brake drums....I hope this info is of soome help.......matt

That makes sense. I had a ride in a B series mack that had them when I was about 8 years old, but that was a LOOONG time ago, and I dont remember the plumbing. Wish I had a camera in those days.