Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fujimi Em 85 Carrera, project "Sally",updtd 7-8-07

Gray Smith

Hey guys,

I've gone nuts over air cooled 911's recently and went on a spending spree of Fujimi Enthusiast Porsche kits, this is the first one i'm working on as a sort of dry run to see how they build and to build something cool for my daughter(gotta get her on my side so one day I can own a real 911..lol). This one is a sort of "what if" Sally Carrera from Cars was based off the older air cooled models from the 80's. Mods so far have been removing the nasty impact bumper moldings, and cutting some air cooling vents into the rear reflector area. I also modded the exhaust from side exit to a center exit design. The paint is my first time using nail polish and for it to not be cleared I think it looks ok. My wife hooked me up with some old colors she wasn't going to use anymore and I started out with a pale blue, and promptly ran out of it (these paints are thin). I also planned on an over coat that had purple pearl in it...so I sprayed it on....car looked ok, but I could see thin spots. I found another bottle close to the original blue and added some pearl ex powder interference blue to it. Then the paint looked good, but still was missing the "Sally" look. I shot some HOK sg100 intercoat clear with some pearl ex duo blue/green, interference blue, and a small amount of interference violet in it and shot that and its where it is now which you can pick out some of the green and blue in the flash(i'll have outside pics when she's finished). I've got some hok clear mixed up and one day this week she'll get cleared. Stance and wheels will be box stock, but the wheels will be finished differently. The motor is stock with aluminum plate and stainless steel metalizer, and some tamiya comp. orange for some contrast to the blue body color. I"ll add some blue "carrera" side stripes and Sally's tattoo on the back, and some cf on the front bumper lip spoiler. These fujimi kits are fun to build, not easy but challenging in a good way(plus i'm finding out about all the fit problems before I get geared up for the other 5 kits i've got to build). Anyway comments and critiques are always welcome.

sally1.jpg

sally2.jpg

sally3.jpg

p.s I just noticed the paint looks kinda thin in the front trunk area..most of that will be covered with gas tank and some detail painting(plus a possible wash)

Thanks

Gray

Ohhh Cool! The color looks great and the mods look natural. I always liked older 911, especially mid 80's. I'll follow up this one closely.

Thanks,

Note to self: I'm not doing another Porsche, I'm not doing another Porsche, I'm not doing another Porsche :D

Great start.

Are going to use Fuchs or newer wheels. But you must run a 3.0 for power in your real 911. But for me the engine in the wrong place. Its a tail dragger, I know a good 914 can out handle a 911 on a tight road any day. This is why I know ( the for sale sign is old. its mine now,)

IMG_0442.jpg

I can tell you that both the 356 and 911 kits from Fujimi sit way too high if you assemble the suspension out of the box. It can dealt with different ways but takes some finagling to get the right stance unless you are building a Paris-Dakar entry! The big problem with the 911 in the front is that the trunk is too deep and the floor too low so it pushes the torsion bar assembly so close to the ground. I had to section the trunk area but then I occasionally go overboard. The easiest way is to glue the brakes up higher on the suspension. The half-shafts will NOT line up with the center of the wheel but who's going to complain?

Man, I was moving some stuff around and the body and kit was in its box, and it fell, face first on the floor...opened up the box and the body had shattered, way beyond any hope of repair, the front and rear bumpers are ok, but the body is toast...posted in the wanted section for a body or another kit if anyone has one..i'll get pics of the carnage eventually...man i'm upset

now I gotta see if I can match that color again......darn

Gray

hey gray, shoot me an email at justw at dgweb dot com and i might have an extra body or even whole kit to give you...not sure its the same 911 though and its the testors rebox but should be the same thing...

Hey guys, no pics tonight, but I did end up getting another Carrera kit and it should be here tomorrow(this was before JB posted about his kit). It was a bit of a blessing for the body to get destroyed, since I was able to redo the front and rear bumpers..

The back bumper was rough, and just needed a general overall smoothing and some more putty. The front bumper looked a bit plain to me, so I spiced it up some with an rsr style oil cooler vent added to the center of the bumper(also to give Sally a "mouth"). My plan is to spend all day Sunday working on this and some other cars that are in major need of bodywork, I'll post pics then and hopefully i'll have a mostly complete chassis, and interior to show you guys as well.

Thanks for the support and comments guys!, they are appreciated.

Gray

okay guys time for an update..

I got the body done, decided against the modded front bumper(I actually did it, but my skills aren't up to par yet for that). I did smooth out the back bumper some, and I put the vents in the back like I did on the previous body. The paint came out pretty good, and close to the original, it was more of the color I mixed up from the pearlex powders than the nail polish that made the color what it was. It has been cleared with HOK clear from Black Gold. I'll do some polish work on it in a few days and bring the shine out some more. I plan to apply some blue "carrera" logos on the side as well.

DSC02528.jpg

DSC02529.jpg

The engine is pretty much done, all thats left is to install the various exhaust parts and its fini'. The exhaust is my first attempt at heat staining and using spaz stix chrome airbrush paint(which is AWESOME!!!!!) I did the staining with a coat of chrome, then some metalizers, and finally with some tamiya clear red, blue, and smoke...its a bit heavy on the blue, but it looks good against the motor.

DSC02535.jpg

DSC02533.jpg

The interior is done, all thats left is to glue it to the chassis pan. I sprayed some texture paint on the lower parts of the door, and onto the chassis pan to simulate the carpet. I then airbrushed testors flat sea blue over it and let it dry.

DSC02534.jpg

Sorry about the crappy pics, my wife is gone for the week, and she took our good camera with her, and left me with the crappy one, so once she gets back i'll get some better pics of the parts before I do final assembly. All in all I've had fun with this kit, but the next one I do, i'm going a bit simple on it...no front trunk, basic motor pant detailing, plus i'm going to apply some of the building changes I've learned so far with this one to eliminate the "tolerance stack" that these kits have(as stated by someone on another board). I'll post some more in the finished thread once I get done with the kit...thanks for looking and as always comments and critiques are welcome.!!

Gray

Well guys she is done....

but all you get is the blurry teaser photo in the build thread to hold you over till our good camera comes back home, and I can take some proper pics of this one. I'll post a full thread then, hope you like the teaser!

craptastic.jpg