Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mixing brands...

Its always good to stay with the same brands for all the stages, well from what I hear, I dont , and for the most part have no problems, I use duplicolor primer, then either tamyia or MM lacquer, and the MM clear coat.

But I dont know about HOK, but I think you will be ok

Its always good to stay with the same brands for all the stages, well from what I hear, I dont , and for the most part have no problems, I use duplicolor primer, then either tamyia or MM lacquer, and the MM clear coat.

But I dont know about HOK, but I think you will be ok

thank u for the advice

I've used the Tamiya fine primer under cellulose and acrylic lacquer paints with no problems, but mainly I use Hycote plastic primer, I also mix Tamiya and Humbrol and Testors enamels with lacquer thinners, makes them dry out much quicker

I've used the Tamiya fine primer under cellulose and acrylic lacquer paints with no problems, but mainly I use Hycote plastic primer, I also mix Tamiya and Humbrol and Testors enamels with lacquer thinners, makes them dry out much quicker

Which lacquer thinners do you use?

I use Plastikote Primer (rattle can), House of Kolor bases (airbrushed), PEARL EX (suspended in HOK Intercoat Clear, airbrushed) on top of that, and then I clear it all with DuPont Acrylic Spot Clear (rattle can).

That usually gets me consistent results.

As long as you work from hotter to milder you should be fine regardless of brand. The only exception is if you are working with something hot enough to damage the plastic, then you need to find a primer mild enough for the plastic that won't react to a hotter paint above it.