Model Cars Magazine Forum

Valve stems

Guest roadkill2525

Check out your local Radio Shack or what ever it's called now. In the electronics area you can find a spool of thin very flexible silver solder for only a few bucks. Comes in handy for many things, valve stems being one of them.

rob w

I use some thin copper wire that I have had for years. I just paint a length of it black, drill a hole in the wheels, and insert the wire and glue them from the back. After the glue sets up I trim it from the front and detail the tips with silver to replicate "Chromie" valve caps. I actually use the same wire and process to do the door locks on 70's cars only they are usually all silver. KT

Guest roadkill2525

Thanks for all the ideas, now I have to figure out where to put them in the stupid tuner wheels. I've been going through all my old Import Tuner magazines and tons of googled images.

• 1 month later...
Some 'stupid tuner wheels' have the valve stem inside the center cap that covers the lug nuts.

i've worked at a couple tire shops and have never seen that or heard of it. how do you get air from the center of the wheel to the tire??? :) all the 'stupid tuner wheels' i've seen have a receased hole dead center between the spokes, that the valve stem goes in and that has as only the cap sticking out. many have stems, that come with the wheels, that are cover with a chome sleve and cap. the stem goes as close to the center of the wheel without going past the back of the spokes. on deep wheels the stem goes about tree inchs from the wheel lip or outer edge of the wheel. i hope that helps.

ps James W i don't mean to be too harsh.