Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Project Autocar Heavy Dump Truck

Its been a while since I completed the Pete 351 with the Milk Tanker and thought it was time to start on a new project. Well to be honest I started messing about with a resin Detroit 6-71N a week or so after the Pete was finished. I had originally intended to build a Kenworth Heavy Hauler with a Cummins KTA, but as with so many things I got side tracked. Some time ago I bought an Autocar Twin Steer conversion from STS and decided that this would be a suitable frame for the old Detroit.

The Detroit was detailed using the series "Detailing Model Trucks" by Ken Smith. The Autocar conversion kit has the basic components, no interior components what so ever. The majority of this truck will need to be scratch built, with aftermarket parts used extensively and only one or two parts from the International Paystar. I intend to use the paystar cab interior for the cab interior and have not decided yet whether to use the dump box yet or scratch build my own.

I have never seen a real Autocar twin steer truck before so a lot of artistic licence is being used. The only photo I have is the one supplied with the conversion kit. As to the age of the truck I can only guess at late 1960s maybe 1970s? The engine maybe a little small (238HP) but perhaps fits in with the time period.

Hope you enjoy the photo's

Autocarinprogress001.jpg

http://public.fotki.com/oldalbion/autocar-8-x-4-heavy/

Nothing wrong with that little 238 in that big truck. My Grandpap had a '73 IH Fleetstar with one of those backed by a roadranger 13 spd (a big deal in those days, one shitfer with an air splitter!) It ran like a scalded cat on the flats, but the hills were its downfall. Its all in the gearing. Thats why alot of old heavy haulers only had 250 or 290 Cummins in them. All in the gears.

Its been a while since I completed the Pete 351 with the Milk Tanker and thought it was time to start on a new project. Well to be honest I started messing about with a resin Detroit 6-71N a week or so after the Pete was finished. I had originally intended to build a Kenworth Heavy Hauler with a Cummins KTA, but as with so many things I got side tracked. Some time ago I bought an Autocar Twin Steer conversion from STS and decided that this would be a suitable frame for the old Detroit.

The Detroit was detailed using the series "Detailing Model Trucks" by Ken Smith. The Autocar conversion kit has the basic components, no interior components what so ever. The majority of this truck will need to be scratch built, with aftermarket parts used extensively and only one or two parts from the International Paystar. I intend to use the paystar cab interior for the cab interior and have not decided yet whether to use the dump box yet or scratch build my own.

I have never seen a real Autocar twin steer truck before so a lot of artistic licence is being used. The only photo I have is the one supplied with the conversion kit. As to the age of the truck I can only guess at late 1960s maybe 1970s? The engine maybe a little small (238HP) but perhaps fits in with the time period.

Hope you enjoy the photo's

Autocarinprogress001.jpg

"I have never seen a real Autocar twin steer truck before"

autocar_twinsteer_eveready_fcc.jpg

Guest Anthony Oteri

Wow! I'm with Tim, Very interseting. As for the artistic liscense go for it! It's your model so do what you want. With the amount of resin you have there you have invested a lot of money in this so make your self happy. Sometimes you have to go with what looks good as opposed to what is realistic. Good luck Dave.

Dave, this will be an impressive piece of machinery when finished. As to the engine, you would be amazed at how many big trucks(like Euclids) used this engine. This was a very versatile engine that had many, many uses even in heavy duty work, so it's a good choice.

• 3 weeks later...

Its been awhile since I started this project and wanted to post an update. I haven't done much but have made some progress. The front fenders and bumper are 95% complete and the truck is starting to take shape. I have decided not to fit the Detroit 6-71N because of the length. The rear of the engine sits right under the cab which looks totally impractical (It would be impossible to maintain) So have decided to install the Detroit 6V instead. This will be much more compact and look much more practical. The engine has been ordered today so it will take a short while for it to arrive. Hopefully within the next 2 to 3 weeks I will have a rolling chassis complete with cab and hood.

Thanks for looking

Oh by the way, Dave, you will find that a handful of trucks of this vintage have their engines partially stuffed under the cab. It makes maintainence of the rear of the engine so much fun. :) The V6 is a good choice though. Again, excellent work on this project.

• 2 months later...

Hello Folks,

Its been quite a long time since I posted any information on my Progress on the Big Autocar Dumper. Two main reasons. Time and I,m tired of trying to post photo's. What ever I try does not work. So with that in mind I will not waste any more of yours or my time and simply put a link to my Photo Album.

http://public.fotki.com/oldalbion/autocar-...rogress022.html

You will see that I have made progress but it has been slow. The chassis is complete and the engine installed the dump body and cab are nearing completion. I'm quite pleased with the progress of this but it has been a long slog!! I like the look of the little V6 Detroit it sits well in the frame. At one time I did consider building it as an Oil Field winch truck but decided to stick with the dumper.

Hope you like the photo's

Best Wishes everyone!

Crashalot,

The V6 Detroit is from Auslowe, bought it through KFS. It is a great little engine to build and fits well under short hoods like the Autocar. Some scratchbuilding is required nothing to complicated though. I used Ken Smith's "Detailing Model trucks Part V" to assist with the detailing. One thing though the radiator I used is from the Paystar kit. The hole in the cowl for the fan is quite small compared to the fan you get with the Detroit (It really is a big fan in the kit). So I will use this fan when I build my Mack V8 500HP motor. I scratch built my own fan for the Detroit. If I get chance today I will remove the body and cab and take some photo's of the engine.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Ray,

The Autocar is coming along nicely. I'm just waiting for the decals from Dan Poulin and then I can finish it off completely. I dodged the rain showers this morning and took a few photo's.

Thanks for looking!

PS. How are you coping with the price of Diesel!!!! £1.20 a litre here in Britain thats equivalent to $9.08 a US Gallon and its 80% Tax.

Edited by Old Albion