Model Cars Magazine Forum

Movie cars "Jefferson's Z-28 from Fast times ..?

I was goofing off at michaels to grab full set of the glitter-free flocking(clearance 4.99, 12 big tubes even) yesterday, had my coupon so i could get the '49 merc. and on clearance was the street burner '79 z-28 for 8.99, just happened saturday Fast times @ Ridgemont High was on late. I can't recall seeing anyone do a build up on that one yet? All i know is "my dad's a tv repair man, he's got an ultimate set of tools". Any ideas or has it been done? For once I at least know exactly what how to build the kit already at least, thx. jh

Edited by donkeypuncher76

I was goofing off at michaels to grab full set of the glitter-free flocking(clearance 4.99, 12 big tubes even) yesterday, had my coupon so i could get the '49 merc. and on clearance was the street burner '79 z-28 for 8.99, just happened saturday Fast times @ Ridgemont High was on late. I can't recall seeing anyone do a build up on that one yet? All i know is "my dad's a tv repair man, he's got an ultimate set of tools". Any ideas or has it been done? For once I at least know exactly what how to build the kit already at least, thx. jh

Heres one i'd built back in 2009.

IMG_1379.jpg

Nice job crazyJim! Did you use that same kit? Not trying to copy yours,well I guess I am, do you the carpet/seat offset color scheme on that car? I was looking for pics of that car for referances and . Wow one of the images that popped up was this photbucket link a bit ago, there is no way I had that bad of a day yesterday, after michaels, my gf's isuzu blew a tire, no jack and a flat spare. the cellulittes i am dealing with kicked in and cooked and boiled me but was happy with z28 idea and the reason i wanted the merc. was the movie "Cobra"., man whhat are the odds you did that 1 already too, i was going for some less popular "stars" . You do some nice work. Body work on models is still a learning process unless its just a roof cutoff or easy van doors for me. my 57 chevy is almost there finally lotsa work. Thanks 4 the referance link btw.

Now that's a challeng! i really want the pre-stoner wrecked one for sure. I didn't see if they had more than one, but i need some paint i forgot yesterday if they another I will give it a shot. Cool idea btw, you have started an crazy 80's build off..wow that movie car is similar to my hemi cuda that my "friend" moved from my table to stove last year..

If you want to model tv or movie cars, remember this site: www.imcdb.org The internet movie car database is a good resource, especially if you're not sure what year/model car they used in any particular show.

thats where Scale-Master got that pic of the crashed camaro

Edited by kruleworld

Nice job crazyJim! Did you use that same kit? Not trying to copy yours,well I guess I am, do you the carpet/seat offset color scheme on that car? I was looking for pics of that car for referances and . Wow one of the images that popped up was this photbucket link a bit ago, there is no way I had that bad of a day yesterday, after michaels, my gf's isuzu blew a tire, no jack and a flat spare. the cellulittes i am dealing with kicked in and cooked and boiled me but was happy with z28 idea and the reason i wanted the merc. was the movie "Cobra"., man whhat are the odds you did that 1 already too, i was going for some less popular "stars" . You do some nice work. Body work on models is still a learning process unless its just a roof cutoff or easy van doors for me. my 57 chevy is almost there finally lotsa work. Thanks 4 the referance link btw.

James,

I'd used a Revell 79 Camaro Z-28 "Streetburner" edition. Also i even replicated the "Cobra" car by using a Revell 49 Merc Custom "Special Edition". As for the carpet in the Camaro it had the Oyster interior in the movie car if my memory serves me correct it has the Oyster carpet in it as well but i might be wrong its been awhile since i seen a 79 Z with oyster interior. By the way im Rick not Jim LOL.

Edited by Car Crazy 81

Sorry about that Rick. I must have seen a crazyjim post just prior to that post, thx for the info, i did my primering and flat black for base parts. Since I just started again I have 7 or 8 on the desk, finally trying to get amt Freightliner done. I'm sorry but I guess I am copying you fast times z28:) I hope mine is nearly as good.

Sorry about that Rick. I must have seen a crazyjim post just prior to that post, thx for the info, i did my primering and flat black for base parts. Since I just started again I have 7 or 8 on the desk, finally trying to get amt Freightliner done. I'm sorry but I guess I am copying you fast times z28:) I hope mine is nearly as good.

Its ok no harm done i dont mind if you copy off mines thats what modeling is all about sharing ideas. I cant wait to see youre Fast Times 79 Z.

In primer, the kit doesn't have the turbine style rims, i have this set from a 70's black chevy van kit, the rears are wider than the front not sure about this look. I don't know where or what kits have them any ideas. Also, somehow the body ended up on the floor under my desk and when i went to put my feet down to get up I heard that dreadful..SNAP! The pass. side of w/s frame broke off top corner to body, im not a great body-man so we'll see..Maybe that wrecked version will happen if i can't fix it.IMG_20120516_172719.jpg

Well, i was able to fix the the snapped a-pillar, (thanks to Dr. Cranky's tip videos, this time mainly for being patient ) when i was building competitively 10+ years ago i woulda scrapped it for parts. close enough, right where the trim gets painted black, np. BTW, thx beerman I remember that old kit, black car i think. I have come across a few guys close who buy/sell/trade on craigslist bound to grab one thanks again, heres a crummy update pic after primer,sand,base..IMG_20120525_184731.jpgIMG_20120516_172719.jpgIMG_20120429_234843.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tried to mix/match colors and flocks, got tired and called it close, will do dash mat too. heading to sink to wet sand, If I end up with a set of actual rims I'll swap them, I just want some "shelf candy", if you will. Have alot of small stuff on several things, gonna just slam this out,lol. I noticed the edges on seats closer afetr i posted pics, have since cleaned edges up. lol no battery or alocation on this one,,guess it's in the trunk or the overflow shall be a delco?IMG_20120623_182945.jpgIMG_20120623_182203.jpgIMG_20120623_114604.jpgIMG_20120623_042929.jpgIMG_20120623_182217.jpg,,Thanks for looking.

• 4 weeks later...

After finding good pics of the z/28 from 79 and the actual car at a show here recently, I re-did the color combo to a closer rendition. I also read up on better flocking techniques, the acryl gloss clear testor bottles r nooo good. Seems to change to a blueish color. also micheals stopped carrying the multi-color/non/glitter sets but has a 2.29$ price on what mod.master equal would cost 20-25$ its a square can 4oz self shaker .... love it with sm. bottle testors of same color.. heres my progress. if anyone caresIMG_20120623_042929.jpgIMG_20120617_230139.jpgIMG_20120716_102748.jpgIMG_20120716_102742.jpg the top was the blueish/purple i tried to make for oyster the others are a more correct color, the car as all my projects has ben hiding from roomies 2 year old and my minpin jinx runnin 4 cover. issue handled thx 4 reading crappy post of of ###### work.