Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Chevy Camaro Z-28 Pro Tour G machine

David Thibodeau

ANother "G-machine" I am messing with.... this one is based loosely on the 1972 Camaro that Detroit and speed built for Dale Earnhardt Jr. Real car beloe

dalejr450L-vi.jpg

I am using the 19701/2 AMT kit which needs some work. I wish they had offered the Whale Tail option in the kit but they didnt. I went with the early 70 spoiler. The car was painted with PPG Hugger Orange with a pearl applied on top and 2 coats od dupont Chromaclear. Here is the stance I plan on achieving.....

P1010003-vi.jpg

Wheels are pegasus with the centers painted gunmetal. The car will have a matching stripe in this paint once the cleat is polished and masked off for the gunmetal color.

P1010004-vi.jpg

P1010005-vi.jpg

Here is an overhead shot to give you the pearl effect....

P1010002-vi.jpg

I will most likely ditch the kit engine and steal an LT1 from a corvette or camaro kit.....

DaveT

That is a great start. Interesting that you put pearl on it. Here is a picture of Jr's car. As you can see, it has quite a bit of yellow pearl in it. It really brightens it up. Keep us posted.

100_1647.jpg

Did you happen to do any body work to the front nose? I remember everyone complaining about how bad it was, and articles on how to fix it, but have to look for them since I want to start a similar one myself. It looks great so far.

Although it's probably too late as you've already got paint laid down, the "whale tail" spoiler is available in the AMT 70.5 Baldwin-Motion Camaro variation of the same kit.

David hit me up for one Kyle, but I did not have an extra. The extra one I had was sacrificed for the rear spoiler on my '74 Cuda.

That is a great start. Interesting that you put pearl on it. Here is a picture of Jr's car. As you can see, it has quite a bit of yellow pearl in it. It really brightens it up. Keep us posted.

100_1647.jpg

Did you happen to do any body work to the front nose? I remember everyone complaining about how bad it was, and articles on how to fix it, but have to look for them since I want to start a similar one myself. It looks great so far.

A little birdie told me that the MPC Rally Sport Camaro body will be available in resin real soon.... :lol:

It's still the best Gen 2 Camaro body out there IMHO.

100_1647.jpg

I noticed the car had pearl which I had to add to my build.... the front nose was cleaned up but still could have fit better!!

Here is the car with the stripe. I am contemplating adding the thin border stripe with black decal.... not sure if I will like it or leave it as is.....

P1010017-vi.jpg

P1010016-vi.jpg

P1010014-vi.jpg