Model Cars Magazine Forum

paint help needed

hi there all... i am desperate need of some help. tho kit i am doing i have rubbed it down with 800 to get rid of the mold lines, then with 1000 and 2000. but when i painted it its left with a horrible texture.

as you can see

20120812_130508.jpg

i used this very same process on my previous model and turned out near flawless

20120810_172207.jpg

please could someone help me in fixing this

thanks stu :(

Your photo looks to me like "lacquer crazing", which happens when the solvents in hotter paint attack the plastic. Polystyrenes from different manufacturers and periods react differently with paints, and it's sometimes pretty frustrating to deal with. I've had identical Revell kits produced at different periods....one did this and the other didn't with the same paint. It's a good precaution to always paint the backside of a part, like the inside of the roof, to see if there will be any adverse reaction BEFORE painting the parts that show. I learned this the hard way.

Usually, the crazing can be prevented by priming with something like Duplicolor or Plasticoat (spraybomb stuff for 1:1 cars over here) prior to color-coating.

If the problem IS lacquer crazing, it's probably NOT going to be possible to strip it, as the paint has very permanently melted into the surface of the plastic. It can be saved by priming and sanding to get a smooth surface again, but some detail will be lost because of the requisite thickness of the material. Maybe a good time to build the model with shaved handles, drip rails, etc. I've had to do this too.

Hi what i did at first was i sanded with 800 wet n dry to get rid of all the mould lines... then wet sanded with 1000 to flaten out all the scuffs. Then did the same with 1500, 2000 and 2500. Then washed it with warm water. Then once dry i cleaned the whole thing with pannel wipe... then applyed the primer let that set and sanded with 2500. Then applyed the paint. And thats as far as i got lol..... the paint i am using is 'AUTOMOTIVE SPRAY PAINT' i have used the same brand from the same shop on all of my models ...

Thanks stu :)