Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hi guys i am doing a build an have never used an airbrush before. Do you have to thin down the paints and if so by how much and what with.

I have acrylic and enamel paints.

Thanks

Unless they are already pre-thinned for airbrush use then no(unless more thinning is needed).

You should thin the paints down to about 2% milk consistency, using the same paint brands thinner for that application.

If it is Testor's that you are using they do make thinners of their own for their Acrylic and Enamel line.

With their enamels I use their black can thinner for thinning when using the airbrush.

Chris

Unless they are already pre-thinned for airbrush use then no(unless more thinning is needed).

You should thin the paints down to about 2% milk consistency, using the same paint brands thinner for that application.

If it is Testor's that you are using they do make thinners of their own for their Acrylic and Enamel line.

With their enamels I use their black can thinner for thinning when using the airbrush.

Chris

Would thinning them down with white spirits or water not do the same job?

Im using Humbrol paints.

Thanks

Would thinning them down with white spirits or water not do the same job?

Im using Humbrol paints.

Thanks

Hey, I dont think white spirits would give the same results that an airbrush thinner would. I also have not tried it to really tell you, just a guess. Water is a definate no, the water will not mix with the paint. I use the HOK paints and use the HOK airbrush thinner. i find it easiest to mix my paint in a clear measuring cup. i usually thin the paint to roughly a 50/50 ratio you can deviate from that a small amount to maybe 45 thinner 55 paint or visa versa, also depends on the viscosity of your paint.

ive also found the magic number for air pressure in my gun is around 35-40PSI. Thats about all i can think of for now!

Jason

BFassasin--First off, before the Jarius police come after you you'll want to put your real name in your signature. You can find out how to do this via the Everyone read post by Jarius.

Do not use water to thin your acrylic paints. If I'm not mistaken the Humbrol brand of paint is acrylic. If you have to, I would use some Isopropyl alcohol. That's basically all it is with some other conditioners involved. Water only in extreme cases, but I don't think it would work well.

I'm not sure what white spirits are, but if it is like lacquer thiner, then no, not for acrylics. Most enamels or lacquer paints.

Chris

BFassasin--First off, before the Jarius police come after you you'll want to put your real name in your signature. You can find out how to do this via the Everyone read post by Jarius.

Do not use water to thin your acrylic paints. If I'm not mistaken the Humbrol brand of paint is acrylic. If you have to, I would use some Isopropyl alcohol. That's basically all it is with some other conditioners involved. Water only in extreme cases, but I don't think it would work well.

I'm not sure what white spirits are, but if it is like lacquer thiner, then no, not for acrylics. Most enamels or lacquer paints.

Chris

Thanks for the heads up Chris.

I didnt know about putting my name in the sig so cheers.

White spirits is also called methalated spirits (I think) and its used for cleaning gloss paint from proper paint brushes.

Ill try it without any watering down as its already quite thin and see what happens.

Many screwed up paint jobs have tought me this:

Tamiya paint - Thin with Tamiya thinner, I tried many things with no luck

Testor Enamel - thin with regulal paint thinner and for gloss finish, don't be shy with it...at least 50%

Humbrol - Iso alcohol to about 60% paint and 40% thinner mix and do not shake...stir

Testor Acryl (my favorite) - Use Methyl Hydrate or denatured Alcohol and mix at least 50%. sometimes even 60% thinner

Now for the airbrush. make sure you have a #3 tip, Make sure you have a filter on the airline

and spray at about 12 psi and rule of thumb is:

1 light coats of Primer ( I use Duplicolor sandable primer in spray bomb)

Sand, fill, sand ect

2 dust coats primer

wet sand 1000 grit or buff with toothpaste

2 dust coats color

1 wet coat color

wet sand 2000 grit (body only)

1 dust coat clear

1 wet coat clear

Polish with paint polish (fine)

Wax

If you want to add some shine to acrylic, mix 50% paint, 30% alcohol and 20% clear for your last color coat but make sure the paint and the clear are from the same brand. The body in the picture shows Tamiya paint using the 50-30-20 method with only 1 coat of color

Hope this helps

Dan

post-1307-1186175170_thumb.jpg

If you want to add some shine to acrylic, mix 50% paint, 30% alcohol and 20% clear for your last color coat but make sure the paint and the clear are from the same brand. The body in the picture shows Tamiya paint using the 50-30-20 method with only 1 coat of color

Hope this helps

Dan

Thanks for the tips Dan. What would happen if I used different brands of paint and clear cote?

I have Humbrol paints and Microscale Industries Micro Gloss. I have never used the clear gloss before so I am not sure what its like.

Thanks for the tips Dan. What would happen if I used different brands of paint and clear cote?

I have Humbrol paints and Microscale Industries Micro Gloss. I have never used the clear gloss before so I am not sure what its like.

I tried mixing some brands before but ended up with a cloudy finish. Also tried Tamiya clear in Model master Acryl and it took weeks to harden. Afetr a few screw up I came to the conclusion that mixing brands leads to a bath in the CSC.

One thing I do sometimes on the kids models as a cheap paint job (I have four kids and they all build models...It get expensive) is using crafters paint from dollars stores. I'll use a #5 tip on the airbrush and mix the paint 70/30 with Acrylic clear wood varnish and got good results for about 1.00 in paint products. It's also safe and no fumes so the kids are starting to do their own paint jobs.

Dan