Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mild Custom '53 Ford WIP

Ramfins59

I started this project about 3 weeks ago and have been working on it off and on since then. I don't like the engine in the kit but i decided that I didn't want to have to change 6 things and create an involved project by using a different Ford engine from another kit. So I decided that this will be a Curbside Custom. It will have the chassis to hold the wheels on, and an interior.

So far I've done the body prep and sanded off the emblems, etc., and filled in the holes for the hood ornament and door handles. I used Bondo to fill in part of the openings for the side trim on the rear quarters and will be using modified side trim from the kit. I frenched the headlight bezels and smoothed the taillight openings. Plans are for chromed reversed wheels in front, Lake Pipes, dummy spots, mirrors.... Color will be Duplicolor Night Shadow, which is a dark, midnight Blue. I'll be calling this car "Midnight Rose".

HPIM3574.jpg

HPIM3575.jpg

I'm using the trunk-mounted spare tire piece from the kit with a dechromed moon disc glued to it.

HPIM3576.jpg

I took out an old Blueprinter Grille Parts Pack I've had for years and put together the '54 Chevy grille bar with all 17 teeth that I could find in the 2 parts packs I had. This is what I came up with...

HPIM3569.jpg

I can't prime or paint right now because it has been raining for days here in western PA. As soon as we can see the sun here I'll be shooting primer and hopefully paint too.

Edited by Ramfins59

Oh yeah Bryan... Those freakin stink bugs...!!! between my wife and myself we must kill at least a dozen or more a day on the back wall of our house on the deck... I spray them with bug killer but my wife just smashes them.... and yeah, she found out how bad they stink when you do that... LOL.

oh yea they smell so freakin bad man! i have a screen in my window by the workbench, and earlier there had to be at least 40 of them on the screen......i dont smash them tho, i catch them in a small jar, and let them die.......or i pour thinner in the jar with them! LOL I HATE THEM!

death to stinkbugs!

bryan

Thanks for the kind words guys. Jim, stink bugs are weird looking flying bugs that resemble shield shaped beetles. When you smash them they STINK horribly...I usually spray them with Ortho spray and they take a few minutes to die... My wife just smashes them with her shoe. They try to get into your home to get away from the cold weather.

I really like stuff from the 50's, even though i havent really built many from that time period. I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

I wish it was raining here in Cali, today it was like 102 degrees. If you want to trade places I would do it in a heartbeat.

its official Rich..........i hate stinkbugs more than anything else on this planet! I drank one last night!!!! it was in my iced tea, i was sittin here watchin TV, and grabbed my tea for a drink, and i felt something hit the back of my throat, and i thought...aah, its just a half melted ice cube...........well, half melted ice cubes dont try to get back out of your throat....i couldnt get it out, so i just rinsed it down with more tea! gross man!.......now my throat is on FIRE! and my nose is running so bad.......man i really hate stink bugs!!!

Bryan

Ewww Bryan... How gross... You've gotta look before you take a swig from now on...

Javier... No thank you.... You can keep the 102 degrees thank you... LOL.

Oscar... No problem man... Those Chevy taillights look cool... Nice bodywork getting them in there.

Dr. Cranky... Hey it's NOT raining today, but a bit on the breezy side... Hopefully I can at least shoot some primer today.

• 2 weeks later...

OK. I finally got some paint on this puppy (Duplicolor Night Shadow)... I applied a blue & white Rose decal to the spare tire housing on the trunk. I got the decal from some Nail Art decals that my daughter didn't want for her fake nails. I also added a small light blue pinstripe decal to the hood, and then I clearcoated it withDuplicolor Acrylic Clear. Looks like it will only need minimal polishing before assembly. I'm working on the interior (blue & white). This is a curbside so there will be no engine or chassis detail.

0061024x763.jpg

0081024x763.jpg

I finally got back to this after a couple of days of stewing over my sewer problems. I'll give the clearcoat a couple of days to dry completely and I'll polish it, apply BMF, and do final assembly.

Thanks for looking everyone.

Edited by Ramfins59