Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chevy 3.2 / 3.4 V6

can anyone suggest a kit that has a suitable 3.2 or 3.4 litre V6 chevy engine in 1/25 scale , I want to build a replica of my 92 Camaro ,

Sample_0-vi.jpg

I have a part built Revell Z28 kit I brought off ebay , other than the engine and exhaust system once I remove the moulded in Z28 badges from it it's a dead ringer for mine ( it's even moulded in black ) .

Simon, here in the states, I think the base Camaro/Firebirds had the 3.8L V6. Maybe Europe got the smaller GM V6s?

Anyhoo, the Monogram 1/24 Buick Regal GN would get you a 3.8L, set up in rear-drive configuration you need for an F-body.

The old MPC Beretta GT/GTU (not GTZ, which had a QUAD-4) kit had the 2.8L V6, but in front-drive configuration. Revell Pontiac Grand Prix also had the lil' V6s, in front-drive also.

I've seen the base F body cars with the 3.4, though the 3.8 is far more common. In addition to the 2 kits Jeff mentions, the Monogram Fiero also has a 2.8 liter V6, but it is 1/24 scale as well as being the fwd configuation block, You could rework any of these to the rwd configuration, the main differences were the motor mount and oil filter locations on the block, and the intake ws also specific between the fwd and rwd variants. Not sure what to suggest for a correct bellhousing (manual) or automatic trans, as the 2.8/3.1/3.4 used a unique bellhousing pattern not shared with other GM engines. Also, the Revell Grand Prix has the dual overhead cam version of this engine, not used in any rwd application.

thanks Jeff I'll see if I can find some pics of those and see if they look anything like what I need .

I think this smaller engine was only used in 92 Camaro's , after that they used a larger capacity one , that's what I've been told anyway , as I've not seen the later/larger engine I don't know if it is the same externally as mine .

According to the GM Heritage Site, the 3.1 was the only V6 avaialbe in '92, with the 5.0 and 5.7 V8s as the only options. The 3.1 and the 3.8 are built on different engine blocks. The 3.1, which is a derivative of the earlier 2.8, is a 60 degree V block. The 3.8, which has its roots in the 1962 198 ci V6 from the Buick Special, which in turn has it's roots in the 1961 215 ci all aluminum V8 that was used in the Buick Special, as well as the Olds F85. This engine is a 90 degree block. There is a noticable width difference between these engines, with the 60 degree engine being roughly 4" narrower.