Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tip for twin cities modelers

Lee your the reason I went home empty handed last night. Well not empty handed but I didn't have the Olds I went there for :D. The model guy there says that both orders so far have sold out in less then 48hrs. Revell has a hit on their hands I think.

I actually got mine at King Kong Hobbies in Coon Rapids. Funny thing, I used to live a mile from where they are now, they were then in Wyoming, MN. I move to East Bethel, 10 miles from them, then they move to Coon Rapids, now 15+ miles from me!

I actually got mine at King Kong Hobbies in Coon Rapids. Funny thing, I used to live a mile from where they are now, they were then in Wyoming, MN. I move to East Bethel, 10 miles from them, then they move to Coon Rapids, now 15+ miles from me!

So they were in Wyoming! I was looking for model stores a while back on Google maps and saw that it was in Wyoming, but when I went over there, I didn't see it at all. Then I found their website and saw that they were actually in Coon Rapids (10 miles for me). It's the closest one to me and my go-to store when I don't wanna shop online (plus Hobbytown moved and has gone downhill lately). I actually just went to SMS a couple weekends ago for the first time.

Last time I went to SMS my girlfriend was with me and agreed to let me hit a hobby shop. Upon entering the place she realized she'd made a big mistake and in a disgruntled puff, went back to the car knowing she'd have plenty of time to take a nap.

Sounds like my wife. She'll sit in the car and wait for 20-30 min's. then she comes in to see what I'm getting. Which is good, as she pays for it, ( the purchase that is).

I also venture back to the slot car area to see what's going on. I like their used area also.

Where is this sms. You minnesotans. Speak of?? I need to go there next time I'm home to good ol' minnesota!

Here I sit during cruisin the coast week (my favorite time of year here) in south ms in my minnesota u of m t shirt go gophers lol. Man I wish I had someone closer than bartster 8 hrs away in tx to hang out and share hobby time with lol

Hop on 94 around the south side of St. Paul, get off on the Lexington Avenue exit and it's 3 blocks north of the freeway.

Here's the address if you wanna look it up on Google Maps.

SCALE MODEL SUPPLIES

458 Lexington Pkwy.

St. Paul, MN 55104-460

Edit: posted this pic elsewhere, but here's just the model car isle!

Image0078.jpg

Edited by Jordan White

I got there this weekend too. I love looking at the top shelves of the car aisle because you never know what you find up there I grabbed one model that caught my eye it had a copy right date of 1972 I had to pass on it because the G.F. Would of killed me when she saw the $85 price tag. I spent over an hour and a half in there.

I can spend hours in there, even if I know in advance what I am getting. There is just so much cool stuff there. They used to have a store in Robbinsdale, in the mid 90's, as did Hub Hobby. It was nice, I lived in north Mpls at the time, so it was close.

Hub in Little Canada has a few of the Revell '50s Olds back on the shelf, but not very many, when I was there Saturday. Also tied in with their annual October 20% Off Sale, the LC store is holding a model contest / show on the 27th (Hub also has a photo contest on Facebook that ends today for entries, and I think their FB page is run by someone at the Richfield store ). This is the third year for the model show, which alternates between the 2 stores.

Edited by gwangi-boy

Hub in Little Canada has a few of the Revell '50s Olds back on the shelf, but not very many, when I was there Saturday. Also tied in with their annual October 20% Off Sale, the LC store is holding a model contest / show on the 27th (Hub also has a photo contest on Facebook that ends today for entries, and I think their FB page is run by someone at the Richfield store ). This is the third year for the model show, which alternates between the 2 stores.

What are the hours for the show, and is it a contest or a nnl type event? In other words, is it competative or non competative (just a show)?

Its sort of like an NNL ... no trophies or anything like that ... last year the Richfield store gave out gift cards to the winners, and the year before Little Canada awarded model kits. They don't run the show for very long, it might be from 11am to 1pm. The Little Canada store used the hallway that connects the store to the mall, so they set up tables to run alongside the windows. A couple people stay in that area to keep an eye on things, because it does get a lot of traffic.