some Photoetched sets. I just have no idea where

to start with the paintjob, is there any way to create

realistic looking custom decals ? should I recreate each

logo digitally on the computer to make a template to

airbrush them ? any help on this matter would be Greatly

appriciated.

Thanks in advance.

Guest Davkin

Lucky for you the car is white. Since the car is white you can create decals using the computer and an inkjet printer. I don't have experience with making inkjet decals so I'll defer that to someone else, (I use an Alps printer.). I use CorelDraw to create my artwork. CorelDraw is a vector graphics program which means the graphics you create with it a not resolution dependent and can be scaled up and down as much as you want with no loss in quality, the quality of output depends strictly on your printer. CorelDraw is also inexpensive though it's still pro-level software so it takes some time learn. Ideally you'd want high resolution, straight on photos of every part of the car, then you would only have to import the photo into CorelDraw and then you can trace the image in CorelDraw. Or, if the photos are good enough and complete you may be able to just manipulate the photos and print directly from those, but chances are they will be some compromises of quality if you do that, but it would take a lot less time. I'd plan on painting the yellow parts, the yellow colors on that care would be very difficult if not impossible to recreate with computer produced decals.

David

I think your best bet would be to try to contact Renaissance. They have a Porsche 911 GT3 RS transkit (Kit #RENTK 24167) that has the Peterson White Lightning markings that you might be able to adapt over to the Ferrari 430. The kit is, I believe, about $60. But he might be able to sell the decals separately. He also might be coming out with a transkit for this car, but I'm not sure. He did make transkits for the 360, but I'm just guessing. I have ordered stuff from him before and he has a very good product.

As for the painting of the actual car, the only area that you may have problems with is the red and black lightning bolt running down the sides of the car. But that could be done by careful masking. That's a car I want to do at some point as well.

Hope this helps.

Brendan Howden

Lucky for you the car is white. Since the car is white you can create decals using the computer and an inkjet printer. I don't have experience with making inkjet decals so I'll defer that to someone else, (I use an Alps printer.). (.....) I'd plan on painting the yellow parts, the yellow colors on that care would be very difficult if not impossible to recreate with computer produced decals.

David

I don't quite understand, how would just stright out printing them work?

wouldn't the decal look too thick? is there special paper to use?

I think your best bet would be to try to contact Renaissance. They have a Porsche 911 GT3 RS transkit (Kit #RENTK 24167) that has the Peterson White Lightning markings that you might be able to adapt over to the Ferrari 430. The kit is, I believe, about $60. But he might be able to sell the decals separately. He also might be coming out with a transkit for this car, but I'm not sure. He did make transkits for the 360, but I'm just guessing. I have ordered stuff from him before and he has a very good product.

(.....)

Hope this helps.

Brendan Howden

Is Renaissance a member of the forum? (I've basically been skimming, for

a few months, haven't really payed attention to who the regulars are). Does

he make the decals himself? Hopefully I can find the decal set seperatly

I'm quite broke, cant afford a kit just for the decals :D

Thanks for the replies, Im also going to order the kit from my local hobby

store Tuesday. I was also wondering if you guys can also recommend some

good sites to order kits and photoetched parts (perferably located in Canada).

Edited by JamesBonz

Guest Davkin
wouldn't the decal look too thick?

Not at all, decal film is very thin, after sealing them with a clearcoat you won't even know all the graphics are decals. The only special paper you need is inkjet decal paper. Bare metal foil makes some I understand is good. http://www.bare-metal.com/

I beleive the Renaissance that Brendan is referring to is a multimedia kit manufacturer, not a person. I don't know how to get hold of them.

David

Not at all, decal film is very thin, after sealing them with a clearcoat you won't even know all the graphics are decals. The only special paper you need is inkjet decal paper.

I get it now, for some reason I was thinking regular paper...

I'll look for this decal paper, local grand and toy sound right?

or somewhere else?

I beleive the Renaissance that Brendan is referring to is a multimedia kit manufacturer, not a person. I don't know how to get hold of them.

Well, don't I feel like an idiot.

Thanks again for the speedy replies, hopefully I can start this kit off right.

P.S - Just remembered, RIMS!

Can anyone recommened a site where I can order rims for this ferrari?

(preferably the closest match possible to the picture above) Any help

on this matter will be extremly appriciated, for I've been searching

sites for atleast 2 hours right now to no avail :D

Edited by JamesBonz

RIMS: One of the biggest misteries of this hobby is why nobody has come up with these wheels, since they are widely used in ALMS. I'm building a C6R and went thru the same problem. There are some aftermarket Ferrari challenge rims that may look similar, but when you look close they they are far apart. Scale Motorsports is coming out with a detail set for the C6R that should include those wheels, but as far as I know the wheels are not available separately. And the set is over $100.00 !! Discussing it with Bob Downie and other experts I ended up ordering Fujimi BBS RE 19s from Hobby Link Japan. (www.hlj.com) I hope to get them in a week or so. While not a 100% exact match, they are the closest I could get. You'd need to deal with the 5 lug nut pattern.

fuj19284.jpg

Beware there are some other similar wheels out there but they are too small.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Strata Sports (stratasports.com) (email:raceworks66@yahoo.com) carries the Renaissance lines of kits and they also can ask if they can get the decals separately. Also they carry a good selection of rims from many manufacturers. Just browse through their website. He can also special order items if it's available to him.

Hope this clarifies things.

Brendan

I get it now, for some reason I was thinking regular paper...

I'll look for this decal paper, local grand and toy sound right?

or somewhere else?

Hobby Lobby carries Testors ink jet decal kits (white and transparent film, spray and some kind of crummy software). They usually sell film and spray separately as well. I bought a kit not too long ago, but haven't tried it yet. I'm waiting for someone else to be the guinea pig. ;)

Edited by Olle F

If you have some patience, and can wait, Tecnomodel

http://www.tecnomodelcar.com/anticipa/prepara.asp

is going to release the race version of the F430 GT that you want to build so you don't have to do too much scratch building. Those decals will probably follow shortly by them or another aftermarket company. Personally I'm going to wait.

Jim

Thats a ###### tough call, how long will "some" patience get me? :P

Only probly I can think of with this is that no one will have made photoetch

parts for this new kit by the time it comes out, will they?

ALSO

Im making all the logos right now in Flash CS3

Heres a snippet.

I have maybe half done so far.

decalsetdf3.png

*NOTE* - All logo's are not to scale, they're just roughly rezised, once I get the actual

car body I will be able to size accordingly.

*EDIT #3 - To: Olle F

I actually stopped in my local hobby store last night to order the ferrari

and surprisingly they keep decal paper in stock! I don't know the brand

because I was quite broke when I went in so i didnt spend much time

looking at it or I would have had to buy it :-(. Its also clear backing

luckally the car will be white based so it wont matter ;).

Edited by JamesBonz

Only probly I can think of with this is that no one will have made photoetch

parts for this new kit by the time it comes out, will they?

ALSO

Im making all the logos right now in Flash CS3

Heres a snippet.

I have maybe half done so far.

I'm pretty sure they will have a nice set of photo-etch with their kit.

That's some nice work on the graphics. You might want to contact Kevin at Strada Sports. He tells me that he took pictures of all the small graphics on the car at Sebring this year in order to do a decal sheet too. I believe his address is in another post in this string.

Jim

I have built the Ferrari 575 (Car #61 Le Mans) from technomodel and they have awesome photoetch in the kit, except in the brake photoetch. That part was kind of cheesy. So I would expect that when they do the 430, they would have the same if not more detail. It will be interesting to see what decals they have to offer in the kit. I'm expecting the factory cars.

JamesBonz...very nice work on the decals.

I have built the Ferrari 575 (Car #61 Le Mans) from technomodel and they have awesome photoetch in the kit, except in the brake photoetch. That part was kind of cheesy. So I would expect that when they do the 430, they would have the same if not more detail. It will be interesting to see what decals they have to offer in the kit. I'm expecting the factory cars.

JamesBonz...very nice work on the decals.

Awesome, then I believe I will have to wait !

Well, provided I can afford it, sounds like an expensive kit, how much you guys thinking ? Ballpark estimate ?

Also, how would I go about ordering this kit, would a local hobby store be able to get it, or is it an

online only order ?

(sorry for post after post of questions, but thanks for the tolerance)

In the meantime I will have to finnish the decal sheet.

Again, thanks for all the help guys!

Edited by JamesBonz

Awesome, then I believe I will have to wait !

Well, provided I can afford it, sounds like an expensive kit, how much you guys thinking ? Ballpark estimate ?

Also, how would I go about ordering this kit, would a local hobby store be able to get it, or is it an

online only order ?

(sorry for post after post of questions, but thanks for the tolerance)

In the meantime I will have to finnish the decal sheet.

Again, thanks for all the help guys!

I figure the cost will be in the range of $165 to $200. They get permission from Ferrari to do these kits so the prices go up. The 575 Kit that I did was $195 (but well worth it). Also have a picture of it in the Forum Gallery. As for places to buy, I usually get my kits through Strata Sports and MS Hobbies. They usually has that sort of thing, though I have not seen it up on their sites.

I figure the cost will be in the range of $165 to $200. They get permission from Ferrari to do these kits so the prices go up. The 575 Kit that I did was $195 (but well worth it). Also have a picture of it in the Forum Gallery. As for places to buy, I usually get my kits through Strata Sports and MS Hobbies. They usually has that sort of thing, though I have not seen it up on their sites.

Ouch, then I believe my decision is pretty much final now, no way in hell I can afford that, I'm a student right now

and $50 bucks is a bit much for a kit itself. I really would love that kit, but looks like its the Fugimi 430 Challenge

for me, and alot of scratch building.