Model Cars Magazine Forum

A little RTV mold making problem

Well I have been trying to cast a Baja Beetle body and it will be the first body I have attempted. This is the second attempt at this and I am getting off to a rough start. I built the box for the mold and filled the body with clay so the first half could be poured. After I poured the RTV I walked away and came back an hour later. I found this mess in the dining room and the wife wasn't happy [B)] [:(].

I had about 16oz of RTV on the floor and all over the table. These pics are after the clean up so you can see the mess it made. I am going to let the stuff cure then pull the rubber up. I was able to scrap alot of it up and use it for some other molds I was making so it is not a complete loss. Enjoy the pics and hope this dosen't happen to you.

I should be able to salvage what ever cures in the box and pick up from there. Hopefully everything works out in the end. I firgure this was a $30 - $40 mistake.

Jake

MVC-014S.jpg

MVC-015S.jpg

MVC-016S.jpg

OUCH!!!! I realize the loss of materials, cost and time invested is substantial, but even more troublesome is annoying the local authority, aka The Spouse!!! Hope the resulting mess isn't too difficult to clean up, and enjoy the time you spend with Rover while in the doghouse!!!

Ouch.That just is not cool!! On my budget, that is half a years worth of rubber!! I know I had a simular situation where I used clay around the base of a mold box and was quite aparent that it was not a good enough seal.Fortunately, it was only a few oz. of rubber.Good luck.I am sure the making right with the spouse may have become the expense in this situation.LOL.

I see you had a smaller mold in a Lego box on the side. Get some of the bigger Lego Duplo blocks off of Ebay where they are cheap and make sturdy boxes for the big molds too. I recently did a 1/12 scale body mold and it worked great. I line the inside of the Duplo box with .030 styrene sheet glued down with silicone caulk and glue the box down to a Plexiglass base with caulk, also. The boxes are nice and square that way and you can easily turn them over for the second half and they fit back in the boxes real nicely. Never had a problem like your little leakage incident. :(