Model Cars Magazine Forum

New SMBC Mustang II resin kit

raisin27

Been working on one of the new SMBC Mustang II pro stock kits lately. This is an all new complete kit, no donor needed.

The engine is a 351 Cleveland Ford and went to together with no problems at all. really not much different than a plastic kit. Pretty much the same for the interior, however I did file about a 1/16" off the top rear of the tub for a better fit into the body. The chassis did require a bit of trimming and filing for a good fit but certainly not bad at all for any resin kit. I have done a few plastic kits that needed as much!

Next up..........the tires and rims, then the body!

Raisin

P1016717.jpg

P1016713.jpg

P1016709.jpg

Edited by raisin27

No kidding. That front stub looks killer, it's almost too bad it get's a body.

I dont have a firefighter kit handy for pics, but the body is not the same, The hood is modified so that it extends all the way to the windshield, the wheel openings have been modified and the body widened. I just primed the body and should have some pics up shortly.

Raisin

I dont have a firefighter kit handy for pics, but the body is not the same, The hood is modified so that it extends all the way to the windshield, the wheel openings have been modified and the body widened. I just primed the body and should have some pics up shortly.

Raisin

Thanks. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. I just wonder how SMBC widened the body. I was aware of the hood and wheel openings, but to widen the body, hood, grille, bumpers, etc, just seems a little extreme. The dash panel and the interior tub would also have to be widened to fit as well.

Dont' get me wrong...this looks like an AWESOME kit. I'm just questioning if the body really is wider.

Got the chassis pretty much done now, I used a different radiator than the kit suppied one and made a couple of alignment pins to help secure the rear axle assembly, but other than that its pretty much as it comes. On the body, the only real mods so far are drilling out the headlight area to accept the Revell 32 Ford lenses I will be using.

P1016782.jpg

P1016792.jpg