Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finished: 1974 Plymouth Roadrunner GTX

James Tester

I finally decided to live up to my name and post some pictures of a recently finished MOPAR model.

This is a 1974 Roadrunner built from the reissued AMT 74 GTX kit. I used the chassis, running gear and inner fenderwells from an AMT 71 Charger kit. The body decals (red printed over silver) are from Keith Marks, the interior decals are from my parts box. I painted the body with regular old black lacquer paint and cleared it with Omni 2 part urethane clear.

I've had this model partially completed for years and it has been on the primer table at NNL East at least twice. I'm glad to finally call it done.

Enough blabbing, here are the pictures:

James "Moparbuilder" Tester

4pduelk.jpg

449x5qg.jpg

54dia87.jpg

677o8s5.jpg

That turned out great! I really like the red over silver on the decals. I have tried to put just plain red decals over black and they get dark. Those really pop. I also really like the plaid on the seats. I thought you were working on one you opened the trunk and doors on. It may be some one else I'm thinking of. It turned out great! Thanks for posting. ;)

I thought you were working on one you opened the trunk and doors on. It may be some one else I'm thinking of.

Yep, that was me. I bit off a little more than I could chew back then. I ended up breaking the body in half so I trashed it. When I get around to building a replica of my 1:1, I will open the doors and trunk on that one.

James

That is one beautiful model James. I love that black, with the red stripe and white with plaid interior. I'm glad I built my Lucerne Blue one, as it is prominitely one of the stars of my collection (thanks for the insapirational picture). I bought up a bunch of the '71 Charger kits, as they are wonderful basis kits for just about any Mopar from that era.

I have a mint, unbuilt '73 Charger, that may be combined with the '71 to do a '73 SE with a 440 engine in triple black, with a sunroof. I also have one of the elusive AAR '70 Chrysler 300 resin kits. I figure that I can stretch and widen the chassis and underhood area to make a detailed 300. (Would you believe I just thought of this project as I wrote this?) One of these days. One of these days.