Model Cars Magazine Forum

Convertible conversion

Midget Whisperer

I have just one suggestion when you do your cuts.............cut along the windshield header first and not along the C pillars. This will minimize damage to the A pillars as you want those to remain as intact as possible, along with the vent window frames. If the C pillars get damaged along the way, it's no matter as they're going to get cut off eventually anyway.

Hope this helps!

Edited by MrObsessive

Here's one I did back about 1970. It's a model of my first real car that I owned then. I cut the top off the coupe model with a hot knife cutter, which was basically a soldering iron with an X-acto blade welded onto the tip. Today I would use my Dremel cutoff wheel - CAREFULLY! Make the cut at the windshield frame first, then the C pillars. Be very careful sanding and smoothing the windshield frame - it's delicate! I rebuilt my model in 2010, and added a Modelhaus resin uptop.

5267285643_6c2cc913ea_z.jpg

5267285179_da4c69c9a9_z.jpg

Hey Nick:

Just noticed your thread regarding the Vair convertible conversion.

Assuming you're planning on using the reissued AMT '69 Corvair kit as your base unit, you can save yourself a lot of effort by buying the resin convertible body that one of the resin manufacturers produced. All of the work is done, and the correct boot is included, too. The resin body is based on '68/'69 Corvair body shell with the side marker lights.

I cannot recall who produced it, but I bought mine off of evilBay. Of course, this was approximately 3-4 years ago when the kit was reissued.

If you want some photos, PM me for more info...

Mike

Mike