Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Thunderbolt - Pro Street

For my next project I want to convert a 1964 Thunderbolt to a pro street machine. If anyone has built up a pro street version of this model car, what kit did you use for the back-half of the chassis? I think I have a 1966 Pro Street Nova kit in my stash that I could use but I was wondering if there's a beeter kit out there that I could use for the pro street chassis on the Thunderbolt?

Thanks!

JW

Pro Street Thunderbolt? From what I heard, those Thunderbolts were lucky to be able to go in a straight line, yet alone around turns.

:lol: Maybe you're thinking of pro touring. Pro streets are basically street legal drag cars. They're not built for making hard turns. The real cars dominated Super Stock in '64. So, they didn't have a problem going in a straight line either.

I used the chassis from the Matt Hay pro street Thunderbird from Revell to build mine. You can find them on ebay pretty easily at a decent price still. I'll post a photo up later.

This is an old build from around '99-'00 with Ken Brickell applied graphics.

011-8_zps61f44eb5.jpg

Edited by plowboy

I'm looking at a similar project in the future using a Revell '64 Fairlane 500 and the '67 Chevell Pro Street kit as a donor car. The wheel bases and track are about the same and the Chevell comes with a narrowed and tubbed chassis to fit slicks without cutting the wheel wells. It has wheelie bars and a nice 4 link suspension too boot. It should adapt to the ford body and drive train with only a few minor headaches.

FordPS02_zps21c5002e.jpg

FordPS01_zpsdd5bf0ed.jpg

Dale

Thanks Roger, exactly the information I was looking for.

You're welcome Jesse. The T-Bird chassis isn't a simple cut and paste deal though. The front of the chassis has to be lengthened to center the front wheels. All you have to do is cut the frame rails in two, add roughly 3/8 of an inch between them and add the same amount on the top strut bars. I cut out all of the core support on the body of mine and used the firewall from the T-Bird also. Here's an underhood shot.

013.jpg