Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 928S

Volvoman

This is model number 4 for me so far this year, my Fujimi Porsche 928S. Just a basic out of the box build on this one painted in Tamiya Light blue metallic and Tamiya German grey for the interior. Some UK plates and a tax disc finished off this quick build for me and as usual all thoughts and comments are welcome and thanks for looking.

2013-05-01190454_zps19aa465c.jpg

2013-05-01190439_zpsf14e9060.jpg

2013-05-01190429_zps67dc8bcf.jpg

2013-05-01190413_zps3f33b880.jpg

2013-05-01190404_zpsce81c36b.jpg

2013-05-01190348_zps1fe7dffd.jpg

That's beautiful! I worked for Porsche/Audi when those were new. Fast, smooth, comfortable. That car would cruise at triple digits without breaking a sweat.

I have a funny story about a 928. On a road test showing the car to a friend whom stopped by my shop, I come blowing through a radar trap in Port Washington, NY at warp drive. Cop didn't even put it in gear....

Back to the model, beautiful job! )

Beautiful job. Any interior shots?

Side note: Many years ago when I took my 944 to the Porsche dealer for servicing, I went over to a mechanic who was working on a 928. I said "That's a great car, what's it like?" His response: "If you get one, I'll see it more than you will."

Old joke, but that's what he said.

Edited by sjordan2

Many years ago when I took my 944 to the Porsche dealer for servicing, I went over to a mechanic who was working on a 928....

944's were very nicely balanced cars. The limited (and brutally fast...) 944 Turbo S was my favorite.

The 928's are nice cars. Don't know why he would make a statement like that. The 924 yes, all day- every day.... but the 928?

944's were very nicely balanced cars. The limited (and brutally fast...) 944 Turbo S was my favorite.

The 928's are nice cars. Don't know why he would make a statement like that. The 924 yes, all day- every day.... but the 928?

He was referring to the 928 needing repairs ... and was correct. They were excellent cars .. the first car Porsche ever designed from a clean sheet. I has two 924's (one with Calaway turbo and one factory turbo) and three 944's. They rarely needed any repairs. When they were in for tuning there was always the same 928 there. Even minor repairs were costly for that .. but it was one of the great automobiles. I was always glad I had a 944 .. one of the best handling cars ever made.

The same 928 being in the shop doesn't condem the entire model range. I worked for Porsche/Audi for 11yrs. And saw plenty of 928's humming along nicely. Granted, water pumps are $400 and brakes wear quickly, but it does say Porsche on the box..... you know.

I've. driven those Calloway 924's. While they are quicker than stock, all I've seen them do is push out the head gaskets quicker. I'll stick to my guns: the 944 was one of the nicer, affordable cars they sold. The 924 was a parts-shelf bomb. Rabbit front struts, Audi transmission, VW type 3 rear brakes & trailing arms, VW truck engine, etc.

Now, if you want to talk 930's...... B)

My 82 928 Competion Group (same as an S in the US) has 92,000 miles and runs like new. I rebuilt the engine last year and the only tools needed were a pillips screw driver, 10mm socket and the spark plug wrench that came in tool kit with the car. Used parts are available for 1/4 the price of new. Now back to the model. I was wondering, your model is a European S. The wheels on my car are 16" disc style, where your model has the phone dial style wheels. Do you know, was the wheel on the kit for Euro only.

Hi folks, just a note to say a big thanks for all of your positive comments regarding my 928, also its been interesting reading your stories regarding Porsche's in general. If I am being totally honest, I am not really a big Porsche fan, I can take them or leave them but saying that, I like the old 80's 911 Turbo and the brutal 959 supercar as well as the 928. A friend of mine had a Boxster a few years ago and while other people would stand and stare at it, I wouldn't even give it a second glance, but each to their own I suppose.

For the people that are interested, I have photographed the kit box as I failed to mention that it is a 1/24 Fujimi kit as people may have thought that it was the 1/20 Tamiya kit.

2013-05-04115733_zpsa858fca5.jpg

Porscheman I honestly do not know if the wheels on my kit were just for the European market as I have seen both styles on 928's over here in the UK and whilst looking through the internet for reference I saw both wheel styles again on cars from the states. If I remember correctly, the wheels on your car are the same as the ones on the Tamiya 1/20 kit.

Many thanks again for all your comments guys.

I remember seeing 928's with the phone dial's and thought that was the car they originated on. My '87 944 had phone dials ... every other 944 I had wore wheels carried over from other Porsche models. These are the wheels that came on my '91 944 S2 .. also originating on the 928 ...

wheelsPB032006_zpsd15bcad2.jpg