Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scale springs - got it thanks.

I'm building a futuristic heavy-duty all terrain vehicle and I'm going to be needing some serious coil-over shocks. I'd really like to use a real spring because I want the spacing to be perfectly uniform as the suspension will be very visible and a highly detailed. It's going to need to bigger than your average pen spring in diameter and gauge. So any help would be appreciated.

Here is the location the springs will be placed on either side of the a-arms from the lower arm to the shock tower. For more on the project, see the Zombie/Post Apoc thread. Thanks much.

2013-05-23174518_zpsae981c77.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

To get uniform spacing you could do some wrappings around a screw. However if you want store bought, have you considered RC car springs and shocks?

I would not be adverse to trying this, but I figured since I'm taling about less than two inches in length, RC might not have anything that small.

Old printers have a lot of spring in them.....of various sizes...I have used them.

I would need 8, all identical.

I would not be adverse to trying this, but I figured since I'm taling about less than two inches in length, RC might not have anything that small.

I would need 8, all identical.

You're right, they may not. I do know several companies make aftermarket coil-over style, but i'm thinking maybe the hardware department at Home Depot? Old printers and such are great as Ken suggested, but it would be a miracle to get eight all the same size even from two printers.

I'd say check out your local hardware store for some real springs. The aisle with the drawers or racks of various size screws, specialty nuts and bolts, plugs, anchors, etc. generally has a drawer of different shape and size springs.

24 ga. Craft wire wrapped around a screw as someone else mentioned. The screw essentially becomes a jig, and the length is controlled by how many wraps you do. Depending on how you construct the coil over body and shaft the spring shouldn't have to support the weight of the model.

There are some 1/18th scale and 1/12th scale rc car springs that would work. Brands are Losi, Associated, CRC, Tamiya, Traxxas so I am sure you will be able to find a spring at an rc shop. Or web site Tower Hobbies. or ebay look under those scale parts search. they are usually about $2 for a 2 pack new at a hobby store (or were 5 years ago before leaving that sport) Hope that may help as well

So into my detailing gear I went, fished out my 20 gauge beading wire. I found a couple sheetmetal screws and came up with these.

The smaller of the two will do very nicely. Thanks to everyone for their advice, but using something I bought years ago trumps all other options. I'll post up the finished item when I finish one.

2013-05-25234648_zps2bc3a05b.jpg