Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:24 scale Mack CH600-613 and CL700 cab conversions available...

Pretty sure those cabs are made to go with any of the generic italeri kits (superliner, freightliner, etc). If you want to be accurate, you'd probably want to upgrade the engine and running gear with more mack appropriate gear. Hope this helps.

Chris

Pretty sure those cabs are made to go with any of the generic italeri kits (superliner, freightliner, etc). If you want to be accurate, you'd probably want to upgrade the engine and running gear with more mack appropriate gear. Hope this helps.

Chris

Actually, at least the CH600/613 road tractors I drove had normal run of the mill axles in them, and the FLD 120 kit with the more modern airbags would be the best donor. I don't know if the more vocational (dump or tank straight trucks) CHs would have the more specific Mack top pumpkin axles or not, though.

Actually, at least the CH600/613 road tractors I drove had normal run of the mill axles in them, and the FLD 120 kit with the more modern airbags would be the best donor. I don't know if the more vocational (dump or tank straight trucks) CHs would have the more specific Mack top pumpkin axles or not, though.

That is very useful! Thanks Matt!

Chris

Yeah, that's what I thought. I just wish Italeri would make more modern trucks or just reissue that Freightliner FLD120 so we could make our conversions!

Yeah, that's what I thought. I just wish Italeri would make more modern trucks or just reissue that Freightliner FLD120 so we could make our conversions!

Good luck on italeri reissuing the FLD 120 ,I've been asking for About 2 years for them to do so but no luck,would be nice if they update that truck with a condo sleeper,that's not asking for much.

That is very useful! Thanks Matt!

Not a problem Robert, that is the good thing of driving them as well as building them! :lol:

I'll have to see if I can get by the local Mack garage and get a couple detail pics.

I wish Eric would have casted the big sleeper and side skirts.that would be awesome!

I'm not really sure about the skirts, but a sleeper would be nice to build a Rawhide like these I seen at the Walcott Trucker's Jamboree last year.

HPIM3886.jpg

HPIM3869.jpg

I especially love the Bulldog that was on the red one! :lol:

HPIM3870.jpg

Hey Doug,,,I am working on getting the masters reworked for the big sleeper, the top had a bad crack in it when I got it,,,soon as we have it repaired I plan to make molds for it and the rest of the aero kit for the m\Macks,,,so just bear with us,,,,Thanks !!!

Hey Doug,,,I am working on getting the masters reworked for the big sleeper, the top had a bad crack in it when I got it,,,soon as we have it repaired I plan to make molds for it and the rest of the aero kit for the m\Macks,,,so just bear with us,,,,Thanks !!!

Thank you Eric put me down for one when it's all done.

Edited by Mr mopar

• 1 month later...

If you want to be dead on accurate with the CL-700, then a scratch frame is the only way to go. The CL used the same frame as the Superliner (RW-700) with the splayed out front section to accommodate the big Mack V-8 E-9. All of the other Mack engines during the CL-700 run could be had, along with other engine suppliers such as Cat, Cummins & DDC. The last of the CL-700's could be spec'd with the Cummins Sig-600. Transmissions from Mack & vendors could be spec'd, including the Allison automatics, aux boxes & a few have been fitted with all wheel drive from the factory. As for rear suspensions, on the tandem the factory would install Mack camel back, hard-bar & air suspensions with ratings from 34,000 to 80,000 capacity. There have been many with field or aftermarket mods where planetary axles up to 130,000# capacities were installed.

For the CH-600, the standard frame was the same as the Superliner (RW-600), just as all Mack frames since 1963 are splayed out in the front, but the "600" chassis is lighter spec'd for fleet & LTL / TL freight hauling. Mack being Mack, would build a CH-600 just as heavy as the customer ordered, which included the 700 series chassis & frame rails & rear tandems up to 65,000# One of the most common versions of the CH-600 here on the east coast is a single axle day cab tractor for LTL carriers such as New Penn, Roadway, NEMF just name a few.

On the CH-613, the frame for these is the "Cornerstone" chassis from Volvo. Still splayed out in the front, but now a straight rail bumper to tail. In the set forward front axle design, which is more common with OTR, TL & LTL, there is a rising number of companies spec'ing the CH-613 for day cab heavy haul, with either Mack or vendor axles on air suspension.

Overall, if you want air rear suspension, then any kit you want as a donor will work, the same for axles for non-Mack. For Mack rears up to 80K, use the offerings from AITM http://www.aitruckmodels.com/ Engines are the tough part, Auslowe makes a E-7 E-tech version, which is good for up to the 460XT version. RNK Conversions used to offer the E-9 500hp v-8 w/ CAC. Auslowe also has one, but w/out the CAC. For pre-EPA-07 emissions the only Mack engine would be the E-7 Acert, which can be made with quite a bit of re-work on the Auslowe E-7 E-tech.

Sorry if this is too much, but hopefully it helps.

Ap40

If you want to be dead on accurate with the CL-700, then a scratch frame is the only way to go. The CL used the same frame as the Superliner (RW-700) with the splayed out front section to accommodate the big Mack V-8 E-9. All of the other Mack engines during the CL-700 run could be had, along with other engine suppliers such as Cat, Cummins & DDC. The last of the CL-700's could be spec'd with the Cummins Sig-600. Transmissions from Mack & vendors could be spec'd, including the Allison automatics, aux boxes & a few have been fitted with all wheel drive from the factory. As for rear suspensions, on the tandem the factory would install Mack camel back, hard-bar & air suspensions with ratings from 34,000 to 80,000 capacity. There have been many with field or aftermarket mods where planetary axles up to 130,000# capacities were installed.

For the CH-600, the standard frame was the same as the Superliner (RW-600), just as all Mack frames since 1963 are splayed out in the front, but the "600" chassis is lighter spec'd for fleet & LTL / TL freight hauling. Mack being Mack, would build a CH-600 just as heavy as the customer ordered, which included the 700 series chassis & frame rails & rear tandems up to 65,000# One of the most common versions of the CH-600 here on the east coast is a single axle day cab tractor for LTL carriers such as New Penn, Roadway, NEMF just name a few.

On the CH-613, the frame for these is the "Cornerstone" chassis from Volvo. Still splayed out in the front, but now a straight rail bumper to tail. In the set forward front axle design, which is more common with OTR, TL & LTL, there is a rising number of companies spec'ing the CH-613 for day cab heavy haul, with either Mack or vendor axles on air suspension.

Overall, if you want air rear suspension, then any kit you want as a donor will work, the same for axles for non-Mack. For Mack rears up to 80K, use the offerings from AITM http://www.aitruckmodels.com/ Engines are the tough part, Auslowe makes a E-7 E-tech version, which is good for up to the 460XT version. RNK Conversions used to offer the E-9 500hp v-8 w/ CAC. Auslowe also has one, but w/out the CAC. For pre-EPA-07 emissions the only Mack engine would be the E-7 Acert, which can be made with quite a bit of re-work on the Auslowe E-7 E-tech.

Sorry if this is too much, but hopefully it helps.

Ap40

This is good info Richard, how could it be too much? I for one do not know much about Mack and their trucks, I built AMT's R685 and the Cruiseliner, all I know is that they sure have different looking components compared to the other manufacturers! That and the fact that they were the only American truck manufacturer producing all the components for their trucks... They were always different. Too bad they're not a US company anymore. Not all of it at least. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Mack is just a nameplate & the dog on the hood. with in 2 years the CL cab will be a thing of the past, Every current Mack product (all 6 of them) is powered by a Volvo motor painted a different color & called a "MP" so the rocker cover (plastic) says Mack & the intake manifold has the engine size cast into it, but every part will interchange with the Volvo of the same displacement. MP-7 = D-11, MP-8 = D-13, MP-10 = D-16. The "NEW" Mack M-drive is the Volvo I-Shift painted red. Mack still makes the camel back rear suspension & the top load axles, but it is unclear as to how much longer they will survive.

As i look back at the past, and although i enjoyed working for Mack Trucks, I am glad to have left before being corrupted into believing the Mack brand will survive the Volvo Way.

Ap40

Mack is just a nameplate & the dog on the hood. with in 2 years the CL cab will be a thing of the past, Every current Mack product (all 6 of them) is powered by a Volvo motor painted a different color & called a "MP" so the rocker cover (plastic) says Mack & the intake manifold has the engine size cast into it, but every part will interchange with the Volvo of the same displacement. MP-7 = D-11, MP-8 = D-13, MP-10 = D-16. The "NEW" Mack M-drive is the Volvo I-Shift painted red. Mack still makes the camel back rear suspension & the top load axles, but it is unclear as to how much longer they will survive.

As i look back at the past, and although i enjoyed working for Mack Trucks, I am glad to have left before being corrupted into believing the Mack brand will survive the Volvo Way.

Ap40

What a shame. Mack was one of the oldest American truck companies and this is what's left of it. I know they're not the only ones to have been bought by foreign interests, GMC and Freightliner to name some. Which ones are still mostly American now? Navistar and Paccar? Mack is now a division of Volvo...

What a shame. Mack was one of the oldest American truck companies and this is what's left of it. I know they're not the only ones to have been bought by foreign interests, GMC and Freightliner to name some. Which ones are still mostly American now? Navistar and Paccar? Mack is now a division of Volvo...

like Renault VI (ex Berliet) in France!!!!!!! :(:(

When Renault baught Mack, the two societies where made complementary Job, the twos made their own engine, axle, frame, brakes. Renault use Mack engine like the E7 or the E9 V8. the french army continue to use this engine on the main tank transporter TRM700-100 and in the main battle tank AMX30B2. Mack used Mid liner french trucks

now Renault group GIVE Renault truck to Volvo group and its the death of Renault and Mack!!!

sorry I am angry on this subject

Thierry

Mack is a mere dog on the hood of a Volvo

UD (Nissan Diesel) is also owned by Volvo

Freightliner, Western Star & Sterling / Ford Louisville -now dead are all Daimler Chrysler, which also includes Fiat

Paccar = Kenworth, Petercar, DAF, Foden, Ken-Mex, Carco / Gearmatic & Braden winch

Navistar / Caterpillar still happily married

Oshkosh has been buying up across the board: Jer-dan, London, McNeilus, JLG, Medteck, Pierce, IMT, Frontline, Coneco

At times the buying & selling has been a dizzying array of confusion. Now we have the Chinese & Koreans eyeing to buy up bigger slices of the pie. Eventually it will come down to 2 or 3 that rule the global............I digress

Back to the bench, more work to do....

Ap40