Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hand painted bodies? (brush painted)

Oh, it's been referred to as floor wax too. What it really is, is an acrylic gloss coat meant to be applied with a sponge mop - which is one of the reasons it levels so nicely with a brush-type application. Point being, you just sponge or brush it on. There's none of the leveling with mild abrasive and rubbing that's usually implied in the process of polishing.

The fact that it's now called "Pledge With Future Shine" might evoke more closely the equivalent allegedly found in your home market: "Pledge One Go". "Pascoe's Long Life", formerly "Rekkit's", is an ammonia-based product that's close.

This info and more is listed here (forum vets have probably seen this many times):

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

Awesome* brushwork Larry.

To the disbelievers - repeat after me "I was wrong". It's not hard to do and will avoid a lot of aggro.

*word used correctly for once - I am truly in awe.

It's not a floor wax. It's not a dessert topping. :P

"Tastes great...and just look at that shine!" :D

Drama aside - I'm blown away by your paint work, Larry. Most excellent!

After spraying the base color, I do my dune buggy flake and initial coats of clear with a brush; the top coats are spray clear:

DSCN6066-vi.jpg

IMG_3281-vi.jpg

Here's an old original that was brush painted back when the kit first came out in the early 1960s. It was filthy and the paint job had highs and lows as well as a lot of lumps and other imperfections. So I washed it and sanded down some of the biggest issues. Then I just polished it. I am amazed at how good it looks now.

For the record, I don't brush anything. I even spray small parts. The only brush painting I do is detail painting and minor touch ups.

Hi, Tom. I really like the old school build of your '50(?) Ford custom. The shade of red reminds me of all of the red stuff that decorated my Grandma's kitchen when I was a kid.

Hi, VW Dave. the paint on your Manx is so '80s, dude! I am not a huge fan of metal-flake but that goes with that car. It reminds me of my neighbors old fiberglass hot tub.

Adios, Larry.

Edited by CSMO