Model Cars Magazine Forum

50 olds final fit problems

I read about something called "tolerance stack" in model building. It's when parts that have small plus deviations in sizes are assembled into a unit that will not fit. This drove me nuts with some of my first builds and I used to take a file to stuff to make these final fit adjustments that the OP talks about here. It's important to clean each part carefully and test fit units as you go and not assemble things until the fit is right.

Dale

I read about something called "tolerance stack" in model building. It's when parts that have small plus deviations in sizes are assembled into a unit that will not fit. This drove me nuts with some of my first builds and I used to take a file to stuff to make these final fit adjustments that the OP talks about here. It's important to clean each part carefully and test fit units as you go and not assemble things until the fit is right.

Dale

Absolutely excellent advice. Tolerance-stackup happens in the full-scale world too, on just about every manufactured product. It is a large part of the reason some real cars were referred to as "lemons", when all of the possible stackups came together on one vehicle to create a monster.