Model Cars Magazine Forum

Air brush question

Ive decided to try my hand at air brushing so I went out and bought a good used badger compressor and for now just a cheapo air brush to get the hange of it ive researched goggle about how to mix the paints i like to use acrylics easy clean up Ive seen everything from water to a mixture of water and windex to thin the paint for spraying my local hobby shop suggests aztek by testors what do you guys use ??? Im also trying to use the paint that michaels sells just to see how it works anybody have any thoughts thanks.

Yes that is right. With h&s you can make pinstripping by ruler. With special extension which is included....But Iwata is also great one.

It' s on you.... I also started work with noname gun, but better is buy something more profesional. Better gives more money, than no stres. So as comfort for user. By working so as cleaning. That's important also.

I wrote like master Yoda...:)

Get comfortable with the airbrush you already have before you rush out and get another one. Sure the results are going to come short of an Iwata Eclipse or any of the big buck airbrushes, you need to take baby steps before you start running. It is during the baby step stage that you learn how to set up the brush and what steps to take to correct the issues you encounter along the way.

If the acrylic paint you are using has a specific reducer then try to use it if it is in your budget. Tamiya makes an excellent reducer X-20A, works well for finish work. You can use Windex or other glass cleaners or isopropyl alcohol for more practice orientated stuff. Personally, I don't think I would use it on something that I was going to show off other than weathered paint.

In my opinion (like the old saying goes, everybody's got one). I make every effort to stay with the manufacturer's paint system. They've spent big bucks on research and developement why spend your own? That said I know people who regularly use "witches brew reducers" mixing isopropyl alcohol, Windex and even Future acrylic floor wax in varying amounts.

The consistency of any thinned paint through an airbrush should be somewhere around that of milk, which has it's full strength color but isn't thinned to the point you can see through it.