Model Cars Magazine Forum

1956 Chevy Nomad - - WIP

Ramfins59

Gee thanks Tom......create some more work for me...LOL. Obviously I wasn't shooting for an exact replica on this build. It was the colors that lit the fire. I may do as you suggest...... or I may not.

Mike, I may try to add a bit of gold BMF somewhere around the trim as you suggest, The gold BMF is tough to work with though and usually doesn't want to "stick" where you put it.

Looks like a big ol can of Diet Dew. Nice work. Try running a yellow sharpie over some regular BMF and see if you can get the gold tone you want. It works on chrome trees so, I don't know why it wouldn't work on BMF.

Edited by Skydime

Rich,

Build is comming along great.. One question though---Do you plan on some kind of window tint , like the 1:1 shows in the pic...

Looks as though it might be -- on the order of a factory tint ? Would realy be interested in how that would be done to a Model..

Thanks Tom

Another crappy, rainy day here in western PA. I finished the BMF work on this Nomad that I started yesterday and, as was suggested, added some gold foil accents here & there to compliment the gold wire wheels. I got the gold BMF to stick without having to fight with it by first carefully painting the area where the gold foil was going with some clear enamel and then applying the foil and burnishing it down well with a QTip and a toothpick. I set it aside overnight for the clear enamel to dry and then was able to trim the excess without any problems. Trimming those narrow tailgate strips was soooooo much fun...!!! :blink:

56CHEVYNOMADFOILED11024x758_zpsac0dec52.

56CHEVYNOMADFOILED21024x757_zpsdd55c7df.

56CHEVYNOMADFOILED31024x750_zps0acc092e.

I was also able to detail the firewall and added battery cables and a brake line on the master cylinder along with a round pin head for a cap. The 2 wire pieces under the master cylinder are looms for the washer fluid line to go through on the way to the wiper motor. Additional looms for that line are mounted on the driver side inner fenderwell near the fluid container. The radiator has a PE cap and an overflow line.

I cut out the kit grille and installed a PE one from MCG.

56CHEVYNOMADFIREWALLRADIATORampGRILLE102

Thanks for following along, and additional updates to come as they happen.

details look great Rich, especially that grill is spectacular!

It was sunny here most of the day, so I was out staining the deck. I don't know why they call it stain since it's pretty much paint. It got cloudy late in the afternoon and started to sprinkle around dark. Now it's raining like heck. Maybe tomorrow will be a rainy model room day for me! :P

Edited by Tom Geiger

I'm only saying this because I know you'll take it in the spirit intended, and not get all "offended." But those wheels just don't make it. Not style-wise, not color-wise... not on this particular model, at least. In my opinion, mixing silver and gold is always iffy... it just doesn't work.

I don't know if you're up for considering a wheel swap, but if it was my model I'd definitely be looking at some chrome wheels, or maybe better yet, polished aluminum, to play off the silver portion of the body. Even black wheels would work, but those "lowrider" style gold wheels seem out of place on this particular model.

Just my opinion, of course. In the end it's your model and your call.

Thanks guys, I appreciate ALL of your comments, input and observations.

Tom, I spent the whole rainy day here down in my basement model area. I'm not sure how much else I'll use from the PE Set for this car. The scripts are as thin as a hair...should be fun trying to use them..!!

Harry, thank you for the interior compliment. I was having second thoughts about the gold wheels when I decided on the green/silver paint scheme. My original plan (6 months ago) was to paint the car orange and white but I couldn't really make up my mind about the colors. I had already completed the engine and chassis with the gold wheels. (I even had a gold plated chain steering wheel for the interior.) After I finally painted the green/silver combo I tried getting the wheels off but I really did such a good job of gluing them on they just wouldn't budge. I really didn't and don't want to have the chassis assembly come apart or have pieces break. I don't remember if I used CA glue or epoxy to glue the wheels on. I know exactly what you're saying about the gold and silver not working together on this car. We'll see what tomorrow brings when I get back to the workbench. <_<

OK...... So I'm not a totally happy camper at the moment. I again attempted to remove the gold wheels without success, In doing so, however, I did succeed in removing the front axle assembly (with the wheels still attached) and the rear axle, springs, shocks, and driveshaft assembly (with the wheels still attached). I can't get to my LHS to get some CA glue debonder because I don't drive anymore due to some vision problems as a result of the stroke I had 13 years ago, and my wife, who plays chauffeur for me, is out of town until tomorrow visiting close friends.

So at the moment, all the parts are in the box until I get the debonder. Instead of being almost finished with this build, I went backwards a bunch of steps. I guess that's all part of the "joys" of modeling isn't it..?? I searched through my wheel and tire stash and the modern sets of wheels (like on the Fast & Loud car) all had tires that were too wide and would involve modifying more than I'm willing to do at this point. I think I will use the chromed reversed wheels & radial tires from the Revell chopped '49 Merc kit, and then reassemble everything. Then, of course, I'll still have to go back and re-do the trim on the car that I did in the gold foil, to do it in chrome foil.

Happy-happy-joy-joy...

fnl-nomad-after.jpg

MVC007F1-vi.jpg

The wheels in the Revell Corvette snapper were the first thing I though of when I saw the GMG Nomad. Side by side, they're not the same but may be close enough, depending on what else is out there.

Sorry to hear about the suspension. That's lousy.

And Gas Monkey did a matching cooler you can see in the back of the Nomad in above picture. That would jazz up the plain bed area.

Edited by Tom Geiger

Rich, I agree with Harry...you wait until you replace the wheels, it'll take on a whole new look!

I've got all the parts (wheels, tires, suspension) for you to do what you need. Were you planning on taking this one to Castle Shannon next Sunday? If so, I need to get these parts to you right away somehow (meet somewhere?). If not, I'll bring them to the show & give them to you.

No problem Harry. It's a lesson learned. If I was going to use the gold wheels I should have stayed with my original color choice of orange and white.

Jeff, If I was able to have finished this model by next weekend I thought that I might bring it to the show. Now that it's all apart I'm not worried. I have plenty of other models to bring to the show. Hopefully we'll meet up there. Just look for the old guy with the white Santa Claus beard.

Rich, The foil work realy woke up the build ..It looks excellent--also the Grille and Firewall and rad support are Superior..

If I ever get to the foil work ( on my builds ) I hope I can make it look half as good as yours, as I have yet to attempt foil..The scripts

( nomad and bel air ) would have me pulling my hair out ( what little I have left ). Sorry about the undoing of suspension for the wheel change, but i'm sure you wont have much problem converting to the new ones.. Is realy looking Great..Excellent Work....

Tom