Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking to purchase a 1/8 or 1/4 scale engine, suggestions please?

Hey everyone,

After building a few more kits, I got a great idea from one of the friends I've made who also does models. He has a 1/8 scale engine. I think its a great idea. I don't know much about the physical parts connections of engines. Even though I understand how they work, I'm not sure how they come together. My thinking is building a 1/4 or 1/8 scale engine and keeping it handy will help me better assemble model engines in the future. Can any of you recommend such an engine? I saw a Ford flat head engine 1-6 kit and a Revell 1/4 Visible V8 engine w/ working hand crank on Hobbylinc. Are either of those any good or might any of you have another recommendation? I was thinking of 1/4 -1/12 scale just so I could see how all the parts come together very clearly. Thank you in advance for any advice you may have!

Edited by schwack

The Visible V8 is an old standby, Very good kit if you take the time to assemble it properly. If you can find an older issue of it, they included an electric motor hidden in the starter housing to turn it over, and little red lights in the spark lugs that worked through the distributor to show the firing sequence. Care has to be taken with it, as the clear plastic can be brittle. This is especially true with the '80s issues. I found that out the hard way.

A few years ago there was a 1/4 scale Hemi available. TDR makes some very nice 1/8 scale engines designed for their line of Models. Revell makes a good quality Flathead V8 engine in 1/8 scale. There are others as well. The question would be, How much do you want to spend?

I don't mind spending more if it helps me understand engines better. Can you point me in the direction of a couple you would suggest? Should I look at the Revell flathead V8? I did see a 1/4 Hemi which looked sharp, its a metal kit. TDR I am unfamiliar with..

I don't mind spending more if it helps me understand engines better. Can you point me in the direction of a couple you would suggest? Should I look at the Revell flathead V8? I did see a 1/4 Hemi which looked sharp, its a metal kit. TDR I am unfamiliar with..

Tim feast your Eyes on this.http://www.tdrcatalog.com/servlet/the-Engines-1-fdsh-8th-Scale/Categories These look great. Makes me want to win the lottery. The admission price aint to bad. However all of the extra detail levels possible can really add up.

Edited by my80malibu

AMT Ertl makes an awesome 1/6 scale Pro Shop small block Chevy engine. It comes with photo etch parts, rubber wires, hoses, belts, springs and many many small detail parts. It is much more detailed than the old visible v8 or any of the die cast 1/6 engine kits available. It comes with all of the internal engine parts that an actual engine has. It is styrene plastic just like a normal model kit so you can paint it and detail it just like a regular kit. If you build it correctly it can also be partially disassembled after being built so that you can display it apart to show the internal working components. It does take a lot of time, care, and patience to build it correctly so that it will operate after the fact, but it is worth it in the end if you have the patience to make it work. It is also available in a regular injection molded plastic and AMT Ertl also put it out available in clear plastic as well so that you can see the internal components move without taking it apart. The clear plastic version is fairly scarce but it is out there if you search. Parts pics below.

AMTEnginePartsPics001.jpg

AMTEnginePartsPics009.jpg

AMTEnginePartsPics007.jpg

AMTEnginePartsPics006.jpg

AMTEnginePartsPics017.jpg

AMTEnginePartsPics013.jpg

AMTEnginePartsPics023.jpg

AMTEnginePartsPics012.jpg

AMTEnginePartsPics030.jpg

AMTEnginePartsPics022.jpg

Edited by Toner283

Tim feast your Eyes on this.http://www.tdrcatalog.com/servlet/the-Engines-1-fdsh-8th-Scale/Categories These look great. Makes me want to win the lottery. The admission price aint to bad. However all of the extra detail levels possible can really add up.

malibu! Wow! Those are awesome! Some of those are pricey but I can see why! Thanks for the link!!

Along the lines of the Revell Visible V-8, there is also a visible HEMI in a large scale as well. It was produced by Testors . I built it years ago, screwed up one part, as well as lost a spring or two(for the intake/exhaust valves) during assembly. So, I painted the "bad half" like the real engine and the other half is clear and functional. Oh yeah, it's motorized and has a sound chip too of an actual HEMI start-up and revs.

Edited by The70judgeman