Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mack R model and logging trailer

slowly [very slowly] i'm making progress. almost no bench time last week, but I am getting some work done today :D

photo_zps8841f940.jpg

photo_zpsda0544c9.jpg

needs some touch up, but progress.

also started on the engine assm. today and have it in color. I've looked at a bunch of photo's and they all look like one complete color for the most part, but as this progresses, i'm going to throw in my own colors here and there to suit my tastes of how I think it should look. but, here is the start,

photo_zps8ffad2b6.jpg

going to 'flat coat' it to take the shine of it as well,stay tuned...........

Edited by tbill

Looking good Tom.

On my tires, I've been using a Dremel with a sanding drum to lightly scuff the tread or a quick scuff with good paper with good results... Just to get rid of the mold line and add some realism.

Did you strip the chrome off those wheels or were they white? Was wondering how you guys strip chrome when needed. My fifth-wheel is a little too shiny, thinking it needs some wear on it but not sure how.

Keep us posted on progress man, looks sweet!

I have been remiss in my attitude towards tires :unsure: I need to start scuffing them to atleast remove the mold lines.

the wheels were molded in white, and I primed and painted them.

from what I hear, easy off or the degreaser [purple power and the like] will strip chrome as well as paint.

I dull coated the engine and it knocked the sheen down considerably, I like it way better now. trans is painted now as well, did a color experiment, will post pic's when it's dry if I like the result.

and again, thanks for the kind words and suggestions.

john, I just today glued my frame together, lm still undecided as to how im going to lengthen it. not sure if I want to make a box extension, or try doing a tube type triangulated extension. will be my first attempt at actually making something, so not sure how I want to try it.

Anthony, thanks for the reference pic's, Jim B has also loaded me up with some good pic's of the frame extensions to make it look right. my only concern so far is, I used my calipers to measure the kits frame rails, and it looks as though they are rather small compared to the evergreen/plastruct[sp?] that's out there, any suggestions on this? i'm just back into modeling, so scratch build anything is new to me. I looked thru some other kits I have thinking I could rob some frame rail out of something, but all of them are way bigger [other than the other mack model I have, but don't want to kill that kit for a little bit of frame]. any thoughts?

Really enjoying following this. Great job!

Please continue to post lots as I am learning from your ideas/experiences working on a 1/16 KW W900 "gold nugget" edition. It is my first real step outside the box as well.

thanks, I have been watching your project as well, your doing a great job so far, you however are way outside of the box compared to me, lol, I only need to pull off a small frame extention and it has me a bit flummoxed, can't imagine what's going thru your mind....

Anthony, thanks, guess I just need to take my measurements and hit one of the actual hobby shops around here, get some stuff and start messing around with it.

now, on to todays update, got some engine work done. still have a ways to go, have some other parts painted up, and as I mentioned before, I wanted to break up the gold some, so I picked my own colors for stuff. love it or hate it, I like a lot of color, lol.

photo_zpsd2913993.jpg

photo_zps640b262e.jpg

photo_zps4b3bcf13.jpg

as always, thanks for reading, and for the help/suggestions/comments.

• 2 weeks later...

Anthony, thanks. I used bits of frame rail from a diamond reo kit, one cross member from same kit to tie the end rails together, and cut the daylights out of another cross member to 'make' some gussets at the 'scab' point. probably not even close to real life, but I like how the frame came out.

photo_zps74faf7f2.jpg