Model Cars Magazine Forum

Source for 300 I-6 5 speed for 94 f150

Ok fellas I have the amt kit. I'm attempting to produce a scale model of my first "brand new vehicle". A red and gray two tone 94 f150, single cab, long bed, 300 I-6, 5 speed.

Any suggestions on a parts source? I think I could use some of the EFI parts from the v-8 in the kit.

Thanks guys

Justin

post-12251-0-28220200-1383254600.jpg

Casey, Ken indeed does the 300 EFI. I think the man is on his own though as far as a manual for a light duty goes . If you look at a "Long shaft older 3spd , they're very similar in their exterior appearance . Yes, I know what I'm talking about . I've had both apart and had to replace bearing assemblies and synchronizers in them ..................

I was curious, so I Googled and found this: http://www.f150forum.com/f89/5-speed-transmission-190051/

The AMT Ford Ranger kit might be a good place to start, as it has a 5-speed manual trans:

AMT-6953-5.jpg

Not sure if any of the '90s era AMT, Revell, or Lindberg F-series pickups included manual transmissions, but I bet someone else here does.

Casey, that German manufactured gearbox was used right up to the Super Duty's .

According to the info on the F-series forum I posted the link to and a few other 'sites, the '94 F-150 used the Mazda sourced M50D-R2. The M50D-R1 should be what's included in the AMT Ford Ranger kit, but I can't confirm that, and have no idea how close the -R1 and -R2 are externally. Hopefully that gets Justin closer to finding what he needs.

They're not very close. And the bellhousing is completely different: the Ranger kit has a Cologne V6 bellhousing. For the correct M5OD-R2 for an F-150 you want the Lindberg 97 F-150 kit. Will need to fabricate a tailshaft or rob one from somewhere if doing a 2WD kit.

Chris

Thanks for the heads up on a good kit to rob. You fellas have been real helpful. I feel like I should be able to produce this model without a lot if scratch building etc now. this is a good this as my skills are a work in progress.

Thanks again

Justin

Looks great thanks Hugh

Justin

• 2 weeks later...

I am happy to report I received a package from Kitchen table resins. Ken was super easy to deal with really good service! This is my first encounter with resin parts. I already see that there is going to be lots of cleanup and fitting of these parts. I don't have a great deal of experience building show quality models so I am going to be adding this skill set. any pointers are welcome. I forgot to get on fleabay and buy that lindberg kit for the tranny. So I have to get after that. in the mean time I have washed the parts and started cleaning them up and fitting. I am sure I need to start a new topic elsewhere so please advise as such. thanks again for the help, I remain confident I can get the results I desire in this model.

Justin

You are right about the clean up and fitting. I particularly had an issue with the intake runners. The bottom section is too close together to line up with the cylinders. I ended up making a flange between the two sections, cutting the bottom section apart, and realigning the runners farther apart. A lot of fussy work that may not be worth the effort. Another advantage of having the Lindberg kit is using other engine parts. I used the starter and the oil filler tube, and some of the pulleys. I had to make my own belt, and brackets for the alternator and ps pump. The alternator came from a Bronco kit. I had to make my own distributor and coil. The throttle body came from an F250 kit. If you're not worried about that level of detail the basic engine should be fine. I look forward to seeing your truck in progress and finished.

engine002.jpg