Model Cars Magazine Forum

Oldsmobile Aerotech

Jonathan

On the bench currently is an Oldsmobile Aerotech. Vintage Monogram kit. Great shape, numerous fit issues (probably caused on the assembly line in my garage!) Paint is Testors Lacquer straight-from-the-can. I glued the rear deck on (it is intended to be removable). I plan (hope!) to create the panel lines with ink or paint or something. Sorry, no in-progress shots, really.

I plan to keep the car as low as possible, so I think the "axles" will be glued to the wheels without using the center pieces. Kind of hard to see here.

post-5327-0-32960500-1384314091_thumb.pn

Although images I've found show a black interior, I think dark gray - or even something lighter - would have been a good idea given how dark it is. Even with the huge and clear canopy, it's quite dark in the cockpit. Of course, that would involve artistic license!

post-5327-0-40416200-1384314117_thumb.pn

The Quad-4 Engine. i hadn't noticed all of the paint that sneaked under my masks. Oh, well! It's for my display case - hardly a show model here.

post-5327-0-30997200-1384314154_thumb.pn

Thanks for looking!

Thanks!

@Pappy - I see you're not too far from me. I'm in Durham. Got family near you.
I figured I'd leave those little paint flecks there. I might try to touch up that hose and roll-bar some. I'm pretty close to being ready to move the fellow on off the bench. I hope the kit decals don't fracture on me. :unsure:

@Dandy - Thanks! I haven't seen too many built up, either. There's one on the Aircraft Resource Center that's stunning. It's here: http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/rh/articles.php?id=6133

I don't know how he got those beautiful seams filled on the "trunks" that feed air into the radiator area. I had a lot of trouble there. I'm counting on shadows in the display case to hide this problem for me! :D

@Johann - these pop up on eBay from time to time. Usually for a pretty decent price, too. I have another in the stash to build the "long tail" version. I had considered going for a NASCAR-style futuristic (future past, maybe?) racer. We'll see....

and yeah - building is all about relaxing to me. If I get frustrated, I move on to another project. That may explain the unfinished pile that grows on the shelf over my work bench. :rolleyes:

Okay, here's a question. I attempted to do white letter tires using acrylic paint. But, it didn't turn out as I'd hoped. So two questions:

1) How to remove the acrylic paint from the vinyl tires (or whatever mystery material Monogram tires are?)

2) Is there a good/decent set of transfers, decals, etc. for the Goodyear & Eagle markings? Note that the front tire is smaller than the rear. I think the rears could be done w/ decals from a Nascar kit, but the fronts.....I'm at a loss.

thanks!

Okay, here's a question. I attempted to do white letter tires using acrylic paint. But, it didn't turn out as I'd hoped. So two questions:

1) How to remove the acrylic paint from the vinyl tires (or whatever mystery material Monogram tires are?)

2) Is there a good/decent set of transfers, decals, etc. for the Goodyear & Eagle markings? Note that the front tire is smaller than the rear. I think the rears could be done w/ decals from a Nascar kit, but the fronts.....I'm at a loss.

thanks!

I would think wiping them off with alcohol should be okay. Not sure about the decals. I usually use a white gel ink pen for the letters.