Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Hemi Hydro

I am in the works of putting together the opportunity of creating a 1/16 scale Hemi Hydro racing boat. I have the availability of a 3d model with cross sections and plan on making a male and female buck using these.Will be using bass wood to make the framework and fill in the squares with bondo and sand to the proper contours according to the cross sections.Once done these bucks will be used to cast the bottom half and the top half.The kit would include a vintage style Hemi, 2 part boat hull, running gear and seats.Enough to build the entire boat.All you would have to do is to provide the stand, or trailer or your own dio.

To answer your question I know of a lot of guys that build cars that also want to build the current top fuel hydro boats in 1/24 scale.

Hemi Hydro in 1/16 would be a no go. People want to do their own thing and a lack of parts in that scale would be a definate drawback.

The hemi hydro is not that popular of a kit.

If your going to make the effort it would be best to go where the greatest interest is.

I'd be much more interested in a "picklefork'-style hull that could be built as a modern ski-boat or drag boat. There are enough 1/16 scale drag-racing engine parts around that this would be a better path.

Gotta agree with some of the folks posting in the other thread related to this - this would be a great project for "down the road", after something more mainstream is produced and sold...