Model Cars Magazine Forum

Grave Digger - Monster Jam time!

Getting ready for one last Monster Jam at the Metrodome! I started building this Revell snap kit a bit ago but the decals that come with the kit are, well, not decals. The peel-n-stick sheet just wasn't going to cut it. I tried to get a set from the AMT release but it seemed no one had them and the kits go for a little more than what I wanted to spend for a decal sheet. I pretty much gave up but mspeanut from this forum offered me his set. AMT's body must be a little bigger though so the decals had to be adjusted but I think it's turning out really good.

I tried to keep it a quick and easy build but there were a few things that needed to be changed. First was the cockpit. The kit has the drivers seat set to the left side of the truck, like a regular vehicle. I moved it to the center and the steering wheel as well. I moved the tach to a position that seemed to make sense with the centered driver's position. I also added some gauges and a switch panel from a Nascar dash for some added details.

GraveDigger-02.jpg

GraveDigger-01.jpg

I cut up the decals a bit and squeezed them in the space that was available. Not too bad. Huge thanks to mspeanut!

GraveDigger-05.jpg

looking at reference pics online was really fun. They have a bunch of these trucks traveling around to numerous shows at any given time so I just picked colors from each different one that I thought would make an interesting combination.

GraveDigger-06.jpg

The flames were quite a task but I managed to trim and modify them enough to get them to fit the different body. There were a few gaps that I'm taking care of with a bit of brush paint.

GraveDigger-04.jpg

First coat of green. The green on the decal is much darker than what's really on the truck so I used a brighter green to fill in the spaces and brighten up the flames as well.

GraveDigger-03.jpg

I'm getting excited to go to the show next month!

Edited by Toast

Had some fun with the wheels. Totally winged it on painting the rim but luck was with me and they turned out great!

Since they were nice deep wheels I taped them down and filled them to the rim with water.

20131129_223840.jpg

Shot a few coats of clear purple over the aluminum and kept my fingers crossed.

20131129_231343.jpg

When I pulled that paint film away and wasn't sure what to think, It wasn't the clean edge I hoped for.

20131130_163139.jpg

But after a light pass with some very fine sandpaper the rims looked perfect! Just have to give them a wash and they'll be ready for the big chunks of rubber!

IMG_1670.jpg

Got a good coat of clear on the body too.

IMG_1673.jpg

IMG_1675.jpg

Hoping to wrap this one up soon. If I get it together solid in time I want to bring it with this weekend. There's a nice space on the roof that would be cool to have Dennis Anderson's autograph.

hey toast very cool build!

i'm originally spent my first 18 years of life up in minnesota! i fondly remeber the ol HHH Humper Dome!

my grandfather took me to the monsterjam one when i was a smaller kid and i remeber us wearing his "earmuffs" from his wood shop out of the basement to muffle the loud motors some!

I also live on the east coast for 2 years as well where my wife is from "currituck" county n orth carolina I litereally lived right down the street from the "Diggers Dungeon" the gravedigger shop / garage and home base wow they have a fleet of 18 wheelers i'd imagine that transport the various trucks all over the usa

Never got to personally meet dennis anderson tho :(

be lucky you have the HHH dome they fit the "fullsize trucks" in there

i now live in south mississippi our coast coliseum seems big from outside but tiny inside!

i went to a monster jam here, theres only 6-8 trucks that run and its a tiny course that they can't do much on

they use "smaller" trucks for smaller stadiums so enjoy the Hubert H Humphry

figured i'd share my "monster" related story

Managed to get her finished in time for the show!

I rigged up two battery powered LEDs to light up the headlights. Gotta have bright red lights on the Grave Digger!

20131205_205818_LLS.jpg

A quick shot of it before heading to the Monster Jam.

IMG_1682.jpg

I have to tell a little story cause I was really surprised when I got to meet Dennis Anderson.

I missed the first line to get his autograph before he took a break. I wandered around for a while checking out all the other trucks but a second line began to form right away so I hopped into it. Two long lines of people waiting to meet him. This guy was signing hundreds of autographs and I figured when I got to him I'd be able to give him the truck, he'd sign it, I'd get a picture with him, and I'd be shuffled along. When I got to him I handed my model across the table and he looked at it quick and said, "Oh that's cool." and we had a picture taken quick. After the pic I handed him my pen but he didn't take it right away. He was checking out the truck, looking at it from all sides saying, "Wow that's neat, you did a really good job." I was totally not expecting him to take that much interest in it and was honestly star struck for a while because of his compliments. Such a cool experience.

IMG_1750.jpg

IMG_1753.jpg

IMG_1754.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

just found out from my mom that they will be tearing down HHH metrodome! there goes alot of childhood memories!

how is it Minnesota sports teams seem to keep getting what they want! vikings were terrible this year and now they will be getting a new stadium for 2016?? woah something seriously wrong there......

• 1 month later...

Outstanding....I don't know how you managed to make it through the crowd without damaging it, though....That's pretty cool....And I never would have thought of filling up the rims with water to get that done....That's an awesome idea....I'll have to try that one out, soon.....

Edited by kilrathy10