Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell FC differences

DuaneB

What dothe aftermarket resin casters mean when they say use "early" or "late" revell funny car chassis? I want to build a model of one of the cars my friends father drove inthe seventies. Not sure what to get as a donor once I getthe body. Thanks

I believe the "early" funny cars consists of the Revell early 70's kits. That would be the Jungle Jim Vega, The Gene Snow Charger, Chi Town Hustler and etc. The "late" funny cars would consist of anything that was a repackaged Monogram funny car from the mid 80's. Those would be the John Force Castrol car, Ed "the Ace" Miller car and anything that came after them. Most likely you're looking at using the early Revell kits unless it specifically mentioned a particular kit to use (i.e. Monogram Cop Out). Hope this helps.

Ep

The "late" Revell Funny Car chassis wich has a one piece main frame was even earlier than the Olds FC's, John Force Castrol GTX etc wich came out in 1989, the first issue with the "late" style chassis was the Monogram Don "Snake" Prudhomme Wendy's-Pepsi / Dale Pulde Miller Warrior Trans Am and Billy Meyer Chief-7-Eleven Mustang from 1985.
And as Revell and Monogram merged in 1986 the Funny Car kits after that can have Revell or Monogram lable but most of them are issued under the Revell name until 1998 when the last issues from this same base tooling with Firebird bodies came out.
The "early" style chassis from the 70's was reworked from a multipiece casting with the chassis main frame in two separate pieces to a one piece main frame...I don't exactly know when they did that but I have both types in my stash, and both are Chevy Monza's.

Revell also have the old Monogram Snake/Mongoose-Cop Out etc FC chassis and the recent Hawaiian and Chi-Town Hustler FC chassis (wich has there own versions) from a couple of years ago, but there isn't many aftermarket parts for those.