Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hemi Cuda just for fun.

Skypower

Looks great for not building for a long time. I restarted building in a similar manner as you,,I bought 1 kit,,from being out of it for 20+yrs,,,17 yrs ago,,and I couldnt stop after that 1st one . But I wouldnt trade this hobby for anything,,I do enjoy other hobbies,,,music,,landscaping,,auto modification/race prep,,but I always do modeling everyday. Keep on building!

Thanks for all the support guys. I am having fun but will have to throttle back a little to keep the wife happy. I now have a pretty good start on supplies and tools so I can just jump in when the urge hits me and not have to run to the store every time before I want to do anything.

Anyway Thanks again.

Bob

Really, your doing great Bob. The most important thing is to enjoy yourself. And as for the hobby involvement level escalating, I was going to try and say something sincere, like "at least your not spending it on a big one". Then I remembered your two Barracudas. Including the one with the Hemi….

Yeah. Your in deeep. But the one thing I want to know: What do you mean "jumping out of airplanes?!?"

Really, your doing great Bob. The most important thing is to enjoy yourself. And as for the hobby involvement level escalating, I was going to try and say something sincere, like "at least your not spending it on a big one". Then I remembered your two Barracudas. Including the one with the Hemi….

Yeah. Your in deeep. But the one thing I want to know: What do you mean "jumping out of airplanes?!?"

I was into skydiving pretty heavy for quite a few years, and although my wife supported me in that endeavor she was not really happy with it. I stopped jumping a few years ago and will probably go back to it at some point but for now I'm content to stay in the plane. She feels a little better about that. So when I do stuff like this she's usually ok with it.

I don't understand why you'd deliberately jump out of a perfectly functioning airplane, but that's just me. :lol:

I think she'll learn to appreciate what your doing once you finish your project. Then start another and follow through again. No time for day-dreaming. If your Wife is questioning your involvement, show her your serious. I find my build-time so therapeutic I feel like I owe someone money. I get some vintage Jazz going…. tall glass of Seltzer…..and re-lax.

FUNNY STORY ABOUT WIVES AND MODELING

When I first met Amy (BTW: Tomorrow is 13 yrs. ago to the day…..) and she learned of my model building hobby she was cool with it in an amused sort of way. When she found out I had stuff in magazines she wanted to see. So when I came across a magazine I was in I'd show her. So after 2 or 3 times she says to me: "Build a car for me to put in the magazine". I explained it didn't work that way and told her the odds of being photographed and making it into the magazine are slim. The few times I was in I felt lucky. So now my then girlfriend wants me to build a car for her. She chose the Hasagawa `67 VW Sedan, Color (Tamiya sky blue) and which Pegasus wheels she wanted. So I built it. Amy is an avid skier so I added a ski rack on the back with a set of ski's & poles. I finish it and it turns out nice. I bring it to NNL East that spring. Gregg see's it. He likes it and photographs it. Me & Amy are laughing that it got photographed and we went home and forgot about it. About 3 months later I get an e-mail from our friend Rich Manson congratulating me on getting my VW in that months issue of Model Cars. Amy got her wish and was thrilled. I was golden in her eyes….. :wub:

Swear this is true and Gregg can confirm. Two years ago at NNL East Amy, finally after all these years, had the chance to meet Gregg in person. She walked up to him, un-announced, and gave him a kiss and thanked him. He was a bit surprised…. and I walked over and he got a kick out of it. It was fun. But ever since getting Amy's VW in the magazine, especially after she asked me to, has given me 100% support as we both enjoy it. She still picks colors on some projects to be done…. The upcoming Pink `70 Hemi`Cuda is her doing.

BTW: I'll dig out that VW and photograph it soon. It really is cute and should be photographed and posted.

Edited by FASTBACK340

Ok so I'm steeling one of Tyrone's tricks, I bought some crimp beads to use as an fittings. I figured I could prep some and just keep some blue and red ready to use when I need them. I figured I would use these to learn with rather than the expensive stuff so if I screw up I haven't spent too much.

post-12897-0-71843200-1389490897_thumb.j

post-12897-0-68707500-1389490914_thumb.j

Edited by Skypower

Well I decided to tinker with the Cuda a little more. I figured I would try and add some more detail to the engine since it was out and since the car had as much motor and tire as it has that it should have a roll bar. My first attempt at an fittings and braided line and scratch building a roll bar. I thought a whole cage would be too much for this car. I am going to paint the bar red to match the interior. The bar is just sitting in there with play doh at the moment.

What do you think.

post-12897-0-84613000-1389630482_thumb.j

post-12897-0-81500200-1389630504_thumb.j

post-12897-0-59113000-1389630522_thumb.j

post-12897-0-36350300-1389630555_thumb.j

post-12897-0-13337700-1389630583_thumb.j

Edited by Skypower

Built a fuel pressure regulator, just need to glue the two pieces together and add the an fittings. Also a pic of the roll bar painted and motor. I pulled the fan and pulleys off because I decided to put a electric water pump on and maybe a damper, not sure yet.

This has been good therapy for me as I lost one of my employees and a good friend yesterday. Been a very hard day.

post-12897-0-72309500-1389754820_thumb.j

post-12897-0-23311400-1389754832_thumb.j

post-12897-0-35283900-1389754843_thumb.j

So I decided to try and scratch build a water pump and damper. What do you think, how is the scale and look. Any suggestions or comments would be great. My first attempt at anything like this.

Nice, but I can't see the timing marks... I keed, I keed... Love me some MOPAR action.

Thanks for the comments guys it's been a great learning experience. I will drag it back out some day and repaint the body and fix a few things on the chassis that just don't quite fit like they should. Roll bar needs to be about 1mm shorter chassis needs to be tucked under body a little more stuff like that.

Thanks for looking and commenting.

Bob