Model Cars Magazine Forum

so how do i fix my boo-boo?

so i have a tamiya kit im working on..my plan is to make it pearl white kind of like this: 196.jpg

so i primed it with my surfacer 500. the cap is white, but the primer comes out a light gray. i sanded the whole body down and got it smooth. i painted just the hood to see what the pearl would look like over the light gray primer..it looks like dog shhh. you can barely even tell theres pearl white over it. it looks like a shiny sparkley grey.

not going to work. at all. i didnt know pearl white was going to be so translucent.. so how do i fix this? i went out and bought tamiya ts-26 "pure white." do i need to paint over the primer with this pure white, and then paint over that with my PEARL white? then will it look better? also, how do i approach the problem of my hood? as i said, everything is just primed except my hood that i did a few coats of pearl on. do i need to sand down my hood, or can i just go over it with white, then back again with pearl white?

All Mr Surfacers have a white cap. Only Mr Surfacer that is actually white is Mr White Surfacer or Mr Base White.

Shoot the Pearl White over the White. If the paint on the hood isn't too thick, just paint over it. If you have to strip it, 91% Alcohol strips Mr Surfacer/Tamiya sprays.

I found that Tamiya's pearl white seemed to be pretty much pearl clear with only a little bit of color in it. so yeah, shoot it with pure white and then follow up with the pearl white. then I would finish with some normal clear on top.

jb

In the real world, pearlescent paints are actually clear coat with pearlescent powder added to them (Tom Gaffney's LMG Enterprises explained that years ago when he and his wife were marketing pearls for custom car modelers).

For a pearl white: Primer, then a gloss white color coat, followed by the pearlescent clear coat.

Art

If you want a pearl white that covers well, get yourself a can of Testors White Lightning One Coat Lacquer. It's the only paint in that line that has the right sized metallic in it. It's the best pearl white paint I've used. I've sprayed it directly over white primer and Tamiya's Candy Lime Green.

If your are going to start all over or want to do another Pearl White. This is what I do. I use Krylon Dual white primer and white paint.Next I decant Testors White One Shot Lacquer.Shoot the car.Decant Testors White Lighting {very nice White Pearl} .Shoot the car. It came out so nice that I did'nt even clear it.

Good luck

Mike

DSCN0652-vi.jpgDSCN0643-vi.jpg