Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paystar 5000 Mixer PTO Problem

Hi all my problem is the PTO at the front of the truck has a universal joint facing the radiator but I cant see where and how to connect it .It looks to be nearly in line with the bottom pully on the engine but that means that there would have to be a hole in the radiator and if its ment to get drive from the gear box then it would be to low ? :unsure:

Please can anyone help as this is realy holding up the biuld

Thanks in advance

Dave

Well if you want to make the model accurate, then you will need to fab a pass thru in the radiator for a shaft to connect the front bottom pulley to the Hydraulic pump. Keep in mind the age of the kit, the mixer was a after thought from the original version with the high side dump box.

The complete drive connection "FEPTO" was never included in this or the Mack DM-800 mixer kit. FEPTO = Front Engine Power Take Off.

Hope this helps,

Ap40

I have worked with radiators for a year and a half in a radiator shop making and repairing car and truck radiators.
It's easier to do a pass through hole in the core square and loose very little cooling capacity if any, if you do a round hole it's more difficult to reconnect the tubes above and around the hole to the rest of the core, because you don't want to loose any more circulation than necessary.

Edited by Force

Like Force said, square, when i ran a Mack dealership's service shop, every snow plow or RDG mixer that came in the shop with the FEPTO, the hole is always square. Factory or custom fab shop, it is just not possible to get a good seal with a round hole.

Also, all of the units i have seen & or wrenched on, the inside of the square hole has stiffener / armor plates added. this is to protect the rad in case the FEPTO shaft fails. Works along the same idea as a drive shaft loop on a race car.

Ap40