Model Cars Magazine Forum

dirt track water truck

Personally I use the really cheap diluted Tempera paints and chalk/powders for light to moderate stuff BUT eeons ago used to help on dirt track cars know you are dealing with serious buildup. The military boys got some amazing stuff on tanks and what not but if you are going for the really caked with 3-6 inches of red clay, why not actually try the real thing? Dilute it a bit to get a base started, let it dry, and then build up with progressively thicker?

The other (and very messy) would be perhaps before you put the tires and wheels on, take rechargable drill (slow speeds) with a small wire brush on it. Dip the brush in some of the "slop" and have it sling up like the real thing. A less messy way might be to dip an old toothbrush in the slop and "spray" it on using your thumb.

One thing about it, it aint gonna come off once it dries!

Dont know if any of these will work or not but you really got me thinking.

Poke thru the sight and you will get some great ideas on a tank. Quite a few have pulled off some incredible works using PVC pipe.

REAL curious to see what others have to say and see what you come up with. Keep us posted!

Really neat project!..well...I guess not

Rick, I used real mud on this Jeep. I mixed dirt from the garden with water, then dipped a 4 inch paintbrush in it and flung it on the model from about 2 feet away. I had taped off the wiper paths on the windshield before I did the splattering. I brushed the wheels and tires with mud too. Then I shot the Jeep with clear after the mud was completely dry. This method might work for you.

5674389750_0805dbe04f_z.jpg

Sam

A good tank might be the tanker trailer that comes on some of the IMC Dodge L-700s, you should be able to modify that one to be something close to what they used back in the day.They are not to hard to find as they were reissued a couple of years ago,the little dodge l700 would have been used to then. Harvey