Model Cars Magazine Forum

57 Altered Wheelbase Gasser

Ramcharger

More progress, I Dullcoated the seats and interior side panels, so they are drying. I wired the magneto and joined the block and trans, built some motor mounts. I didn't like the gap between the motor and the stock mounts, so I made some, they still need painted. I scratch built a roll bar out of sprue, it needs a little sanding to look good. I've got a couple of more interior details to work out tonight and I have to shorten the drive shaft a little. The next big project will be building some headers, ugh, I hate building headers! Here's some photos of this morning's progress, I'm taking a break for a few hours!

001_zpsaf0a5cc9.jpg

002_zpscdd7289f.jpg

003_zpse862eb0f.jpg

004_zps0c87794f.jpg

006_zpsa01528f8.jpg

007_zpsa7db9394.jpg

008_zps27685cb5.jpg

I saw your 57 ford it reminded me of the time I had just primered a 57 chevy. My paint booth is in the garage, so I was walking with my 1:25th scale body taped to the top of a spray can. My neighbor is a car guy he was walking his dog, saw the car and "Said got your self a 57 and its a Bel Air". At first I was amaz'd,from the street were he was I would have had trouble recognizing my own face. Then he said "Well that is a Iconic car". We talked cars for a while. He Reminded me that a 283 was the one to have way back then......Also somtimes a guy would drive a "Hot Rod" around painted primer and never would gloss....Hmmm Idea...I built my Brite Kandy Red Pro Street with a Big Block.... The Primered 57 with a Soupped up small block still rattles around in my mind....Some day old girl we hang your hopes on rusted out hinges and take 'em for a ride. Love your 57 ford were it is and were its going....Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the encouragement, guys! I hope to get her done for our contest in 2 weeks, I'm running out of time quick! Here's the interior, I added seat belts and a roll bar. I would have been smarter to start with the Fireball Roberts '57, it already has a roll bar in the kit. I also turned a "Moon" tank on my buddy's lathe the other night. Now to build some headers and then on to paint! I'll keep you guys posted.

001_zps8df922fd.jpg

002_zps18aaa6c6.jpg

005_zps2b9978cf.jpg

006_zpsee676b45.jpg

Thanks guys! Here's the fuel tank mounted up, I made the mounts out of a soda can and used electrical tape for the rubber gasket. I think the vent has too big of a coil now that I see it in a photo. I was going to use a wheel spinner for a gas cap but the body is too close so I'll just use a round cap. After I redo that vent tube, the headers are next, UGH!

001_zps4c6adea0.jpg

002_zpse4f99c1a.jpg

Thanks guys! I noticed some way cool avatar photos in this thread. I worked on the headers the last two nights, they are a, uh, problem that starts with a b to make! I couldn't find any appropriate sized solder, the only sizes I could find is .061 and .113 and I need .080 to work out to 2" tubes. 2" tubes seem to be the proper size to a full race "Cammer", 1 3/4" would probably pass, but that is about .070 in scale, can't find that either. I looked at wire and found I had some 12 ga copper electrical wire that specs out at .082, close enough, but really hard to bend and cut. So I just cowboyed up bent it to as close of a shape as I could. I still need to build collectors and flanges for the heads, then prime and paint. This guy is probably not going to make the Buckeye Classic, so I'll only have 1 57 Ford at the show. Oh well, close but no cigar. I'll finish her up next week, I should have more modeling time. I'll post photos of the headers before I paint them.

Unknown Hinson!! I thought about going, but life got in the way. Go ahead and cut one up, it's just plastic! They make more everyday. Here's a couple of in progress shots of the headers. I used 12 ga copper wire and silver soldered it for strength so I could bend and file it after they were together. BTW, it my first time soldering with a torch and my first time silver soldering, I think I was a little excessive. I then made collectors out of aluminum tubes that I flared out at the ends, the extras in the photos are casualties of experimentation. I'm smoothing the whole deal out right now while I'm drinking my coffee. I also wet sanded the body yesterday and went through the front fenders pretty bad so I reshot them yesterday. Since I missed the Buckeye Classic with this one, I'm shooting for the Detroit Show.

001_zps06d1f46c.jpg

002_zps2c72f5d5.jpg