Model Cars Magazine Forum

Advice on sherline cnc

I plan to buy the sherline cnc mill and lathe package within the next month or so and wondered if its a good investment. It comes with the rotary table and many other attachments but i know that there will be more things needed once i get more into it. I do know a good bit about cad design and all that so i shouldnt have any issues there. I have a lot of projects on hold bc they need some one off wheels or other parts and figured it would save me some money over time instead of paying someone else to do it. Is this a good setup to invest in or should i not bother. Hopefully someone on here can point me in the right direction. Everyone have a great day.

Thanks for the replies. I mainly build 1/24-1/25 scale. Im hoping jim from micro nitro will chime in on here and give some pointers or possibly recommended tools ill need for machining the wheel centers. I have a few project of replica isca showcars im wanting to build but there will be a lot of custom machined parts including wheels that will need to be done. So im just wanting to get all the advice i can before i drop 5-6 gs on the setup. Some think im crazy for spending it but i believe it will pay off down the road. Plus im hoping to be able to also machine custom pieces for other builders. Theres alot of parts id like to see offered and noone has been willing to do it bc of the extreme time it would take to do some of them which would make the cost much higher. Well im not saying id be able to do it any cheaper at least until i see how long it would actually take to do it. But all this is just ideas right now. Mainly wanna get a really nice setup first then see where it goes from there. Again thanks for your replies. Keep them coming.

Keep in mind that, while the Sherline is a fine machine for its intended purpose, it is a hobbyists tool. It will not stand up to the rigors of mass production.

I think you may be fooling yourself to believe that you will recoup your investment through producing parts for the industry. If you're serious about going into production, you would be better off looking at a used Brother. They are small, high speed CNC mills designed specifically for high production.

I don't think he is trying to recoup through selling, rather it paying off in the long run by not having to constantly buy pieces from other machinists. You could easily spend $100+ on one 1/24 car. If you build A LOT you could eventually break even. But just alleviating the cost by making your own stuff, or just by having the freedom to do whatever you want is worth IMO. If you have the budget for it.

Cameron,

Looking back over the thread, it would seem that I did misinterpret Kris's intent. You have a good point that being able to produce anything you want is quite attractive.

I'm not really in a financial position to buy a lathe, but I would make it happen if I had the design skills. I'd pinch pennies, Maybe later in life. I would be ecstatic to be able to machine my own parts.