Model Cars Magazine Forum

'64 Vette

Dale W. Verts

Dale I don't think anyone makes a new model of a 1964 Corvette. You may find a old AMT build up or pay top price for unbuilt one in the box. You can find a 63 roadster which is the same as the 64 but the hood has a double grill on it. Modelhaus sell a resin hood for a 64. Or if its a coupe you want the 63 spilt window are also easy to find on ebay, you will have to remove the split part of the window.

Tony

It is true that no one makes a 64 Corvette. The most recent is the Accurate Miniatures Grand Sport but that is not a stock 64. You can start with a 63 and convert it to a 64 with Modelhaus parts. You need the hood and stock wheel covers. Model Car Garage has a photo etch set that has the 64 emblems too. That is what I did with this Roadster.

64Vett01c.jpg

It is much easier to convert the roadster to 64 because the 63 coupe has a split rear window and the c pillar vents are different too.

You can also watch Ebay for an annual build up. I am restoring these two that I picked up. The coupe I found at a show and swap meet. I got it for $30.00 just as you see it here.

64Corvettec.jpg

This roadster is also an annual that I got off Ebay. I paid $42 shipped for it with the original box. This is also how I got it. All I can say is be pacient and one will turn up.

64Vettea.jpg

The info here is pretty much accurate as provided by the other posters ---

The vintage AMT kit is getting a bit harder to find and mint examples are expensive--- you can easily convert the more plentiful 63 by altering the hood --- the "cookie sheets" as they are called can easily be cut out and replaced....

I any case there is not enough detail on the 63 to delineate it from the 64 except the cookie sheets and the hub caps ---

1:1 there were many chassis tweaks and the F.I. was more powerful --- 365 carb with solid lifters replace the 340 but again in model form it is near impossible to tell the difference.... the big interior difference was the gauge package --- both had a distinctive concave cone type gauge face but the 64 had flat black cones and the 63 had polished aluminum cones --neither vintage AMT kit has this minute detail and it would be quite an achievement to reproduce it in scale---

The original AMT 64 was kinda neat because it had a trailer that came with the kit --- just for that reason it is the better kit in my opinion---

Having owned both 1:1 cars I favor the 64 --- it was just dialed in a bit better than the 63 for the obvious reason...

One other easy conversion is to use the plentiful Revell 63 snap kits and get the correct hub caps from ModelHaus --as mentioned by others you will need to remove the split on the coupe and in both cases replace the cookie sheets -- but in either case the work is not hard and well within the reach of an average modeler ---

Good luck with this project ---

Regards

Bill (Duntov)

Well fellers, thanks for the input. I imagine I need to modify a '63 kit, because I plan to street-rod this car if I ever build it. When I was a kid my brother had a friend with a '64. I was fascinated by those two big carbs and velocity stacks pokin' thru the hood. And it sounded RIGHT. Funny- I remember my brother saying that "someday he'll wish he'd kept that injector..." Part of the fun in this modeling thing for me is building cars the way I would like them to be if I owned the real thing. And a '64 'vette, Candy-Apple Red, with big chrome pipes down the side withand a slobberin' 327 with those big 'stacks stickin' thru the hood is the way I'd want one!

I would say to cut up a rare, however correct kit, would probably incur some wrath. Thanks again.

Dale

The AMT Prestiege kit of the convertible was rumored to actually be a 1964 car even tho the box art billed it as a 1963....

I have the Prestige kit and the AMT '64 and the Prestige is a '63. As Raoul suggested turning a 63 conv into a 64 is quite easy needing just wheels (and you could use the optional knock off style wheels that are fairly easy to find), logos. a different gas cap and the hood without the grill work. I plan on doing this conversion myself one of these days.