Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best resin early SBC available?

I'm searching for the best detailed early SBC resin engine I can find

I have a few kit ones, but all are basically similar & lack detail

I also have the Accurate Miniatures M8 kit, it's nice block detail, but is dry sump and inclusive timing chain cover

The valve covers I need are the finned non-script style (Corvette?)

The gang here has far better knowledge of what's out there, then in my own hours spent looking thus far :D

This is photo of the exact engine I'm searching out parts for, including the intake, headers, valve covers, etc.

Thanks

080cbc90ce.jpg

Edited by Jeremy Jon

No major reason Jeff, just easier for me to source the engine only, and not have to get an entire kit, which I won't likely be using the rest of ...I'm very lean in that regard, and not having much unused plastic :)

The most important for me, is accuracy & block/head/manifolds detail, of this specific engine, which looks to me basically an early 'vette engine (not sure year specifically?)

Edited by Jeremy Jon

I've seen the packs, they have multi piece blocks, some nice details, but not the correct valve covers, nor same exhaust manifolds needed

I was hoping the brain trust here could point to a single kit with this correct engine, valve covers and manifolds, so I don't have to search out & buy different kits for parts?

Most basic kits have the generic SBC blocks, which lack the detail sought

The specific year I suppose would be 1969, LT1 SBC

Edited by Jeremy Jon

You can get what is almost the exact engine in the Revell '69 Nova SS kit the exhaust manifolds are from almost any small block from'57 up through the late '70s that style motor & valve covers was from '69 & later. Most resin engine kits are going to set you back almost as much as a complete styrene kit, & you can sell or trade what's left

I'll look into the Nova SS kit, thanks

Still trying to find a clear photo from somewhere of the AMT 'vette LT1 engine (above post), which may be complete & correct?

If it correct, or same engine as the Nova?

I don't want to buy multiple kits, to piece together a single engine & trading parts away is a pain, and that's why a single engine with all the correct items (as the one in photo) if not available in a single kit, but available in resin complete, makes sense to get instead

Edited by Jeremy Jon

The Nova SS kit engine looks pretty good, valve covers look right, except the air cleaner, which has the twin snorkels, I'd otherwise like to preserve the chrome intact

The engine block has some detailing with separate starter and oil filter, which is nice

revell_Nova_parts_F.jpg

revell_Nova_parts_E.jpg

Edited by Jeremy Jon

This is the best photo online I've found of the AMT 'vette LT-1 engine so far, doesn't show specifically the exhaust manifolds though

Air cleaner is better, and valve covers look even better, but the distributor location has that splash shield part, though I can work around that

70Corvette023.jpg

Close, but looking for a single source with all the correct components, air cleaner without snorkels, ram horn manifolds, etc.

AMT00000635_4_l.jpg

the block of these is the same as above post with plain details, and molded in starter + filter

Edited by Jeremy Jon

Ah ha! So looks like the AMT 'vette LT-1 kit might be the one, shows here built with rams horn manifolds, I'd have only to change to a standard distributor, and a much nicer extra body to be left over with! :)

Sadly, can't tell from these pics though, if the block is very good in detail or plain style?

72corvette010.jpg

Edited by Jeremy Jon

Jeremy,

The chrome ignition shield you see in those Vette pictures is an option and there is a regular distributor underneath it. I believe you would get all that you are looking for in that 'Vette kit. AMT re-issued those kits in recent years so it should be an easy kit to find.

Most early SBC are all the same in outward apperance. Only differences are valve covers and air cleaners. There are many resin castes that sell only the valve coers and air cleaners. The valve covers in the picture you posted are early vett covers. Air cleaner early BB maybe 66 - 68. Kit bash for the engin and find a caster that has the valve covers and air cleaner you need.