Model Cars Magazine Forum

1983 Lemans Winning 956

David Thibodeau

Venturing into the unknown for me, I pulled out and dusted off (Literally) the 22 year old Tamiya Rothmans porsche 956. The decals were yellowed so I put them in a bay window for an hour and they lightened up. I am going for a clean build of the historic car with some added engine wire detailing.

Jumping ahead, the body is done as well as glass in place. The decals were very hard to work with due to their age but I managed. Paint is tamiya white and blue followed by dupont clear.

9-vi.jpg

I tried to apply the glass as tidy as possible:

10-vi.jpg

The chassis bottom was painted as per instructions I used tamiya silver leaf for the aluminum areas and slightly weathered it with tamiya weathering kit.

11-vi.jpg

12-vi.jpg

Finally tires and wheels are done. Covers were left off rear wheels as per reference photos of the actual car.

13-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking....

DaveT

:P thanks for that trick!!!!

I never knew and never read that by putting a car in the sun light

may clear out that yellowish film in old decals, that was one of my mayor

beafs with white race car models.

I have that same kit and I am so eager to do it, but I don't feel

I am raedy for it, it is such a beautifull machine and I do not want to mess up.

want to practice in a few projects more, wich is been so helpfull in learning new technics

and tricks of the trade. The more I see some of this done the more I want to wait and learn,

I will check this project closely .

This porsche was like the new england patriots, everyone knew the superioarity but also everyone else wanted to beat them. Porsche has not produced a power house in a long time like this one,,so we need to keep memorizing in this beauties of the past.

That is really making me want to pull mine out and dust them off too. That is way cool. I just watched the RenSport special on Speedvision today. They featured those cars and gave quite a lot of information about them. A must watch for fans of that type of racing.

Dwayne

Unless I'm reading wrong, I believe he put the sheet of decals in the bay window. It's an old trick for getting rid of the yellow. Be sure you are going to apply the decals soon after since they will go back to yellow again. This may work for already applied decals. Remember also you are bleaching the colors too so try to do this trick one time to a sheet.

:huh: thanks for that trick!!!!

I never knew and never read that by putting a car in the sun light

may clear out that yellowish film in old decals, that was one of my mayor

beafs with white race car models.

You know, my reading comprehension isn't what it used to be. I thought I'd open this thread and see something like this:

234951476-S.jpg

:wacko: Sorry, couldn't resist.

That 956 looks awesome so far. I think I had that kit once upon a time. I could never have done it the justice that you are. Keep it up.

Thanks guys, I decided since I have the 1/16th Petty car complete to get back on the 956.....

Alot of components on the car are highly polished aluminum.... to get this look I used BMF......

P1010025-vi.jpg

I wanted a fairly detailed engine so here is the beginning stages. Engine is wired with coil added along with a few overflow lines. Everything received a light black wash..... Body was added temporarily for photos.....

P1010023-vi.jpg

P1010024-vi.jpg

Much more to come!!!

DaveT