Model Cars Magazine Forum

house of kolor paint

ok I'm trying to figure out what I need to paint my model apple candy red from house of kolor.

-does any primer work (rattle can?)

-someone mentioned needing a sealer over the primer?

-then a silver base coat

-then the candy

-then clear(does any clear work or only use hok)

sorry if I sound like a dummy but I've never done candy before and id like this car to be right and the body look amazing

if a sealer is need can you give me the number so I can find the right one since there are so many dang choices

thanks,

Nick

No sealer is needed and I've used Testors clear with House of Color (Black Gold) paints with good results. Tamiya clear would probably work as well. I would use Tamiya white primer myself as I've had good results with it. I noticed that you're from Crystal Lake, and there is a model car club that meets in Crystal Lake on the second Saturday of the month. Wanna see a LOT of model cars? Check out the Milwaukee NNL on April 12th in Waukesha, Wisconsin. Send me a PM with your e-mail addy and I can send you a flyer.

if you want a more traditional Kandy Apple Red, use Gold as your basecoat.

I use Duplicolor primers almost all of the time (I shy away from their "Hot Rod Black Primer"...it doesn't' seem to actually cure).

I will use a sealer most of the time to try and prevent any part lines (or any other features that have been removed) from ghosting, or "checking"

Since your model will not be out in the elements most of its life, there is no need to go with the top of the line clears out there. You don't need to UV protection that they offer. I use Nason SelectClear (2 part) on my projects. It mixes 4:1 and is dry enough to polish (if needed) in 4 hours. I'm sure that there are other model based clears out there that might be compatible with the HOK, but I am not aware of them.

Above all...remember to have fun

Base coat of the common custom candy apple red is gold. Silver will make the red look altogether different but it works fine if that is the color look you are wanting. HoK has to be clear coated and nearly any clear will work, always paint a test sample and check compatibility. I've been using a spray can of clear lacquer that I bought at a local paint store. I am sure Tamiya or Testor's clears would work fine too. Be sure your HoK paint is dry and fully cured before clearing.

I have used an automotive lacquer primer, put on a basecoat, the color coat and the clear in one afternoon without any issue, all lacquers. I don't make a habit of it though :)