Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cutting Chrome strips...

After commenting on how neat the idea was "gluing two Xacto blades together was...(Billy's '62 Chevy paint under "on the workbench")

I wanted to try to make real thin (to scale) "stainless interior trim".

Tried it, it worked, but now...HOW THE HECK WOULD I GO ABOUT GLUING THIS STUFF DOWN? I tried to use bare metal foil, but it simply ripped up trying to remove it so I ended up using Reynolds aluminum foil.

Any ideas???

post-12516-0-23927700-1395836944_thumb.j

I'm still kinda new to this whole thing...

Will superglue (I just bought some Extreme Power -medium) stay "wet" long enough for me to pick up the strip and position it?

Also, is micro metal adhesive a specific product name? Where can you buy it?

Thanks,

D

Instead of super glue or epoxy, both of which would be impossible to apply to such a thin area without making a mess, I'd use acrylic clear as the "glue." Use a fine brush to paint the acrylic along the kit piece where you want the chrome strip, then apply the strip carefully, using the tip of your brush to position it and smooth things out. Clear acrylic will give you plenty of time to position the strip before it sets up.

Skip...thanks, I will check out Line-O-Tape...As a kid I remember this being pretty thick, scale-wise, but I am going to check it out. Maybe they have a lot more things to offer since 1967 !! (ya think, Doug?!)

Psychographic...this is a pretty nice site. Thanks. (see you are local to me...Used to live in Bethlehem myself a few years back)

Thanks guys,

D

I'm not sure I understand your problem, I do not mean to offend you at all. It really sounds to me like you tried cutting tiny strips of bare metal foil to put on the interior areas and it came apart. It sounds like the wrong technique for applying BMF. You should cut a fairly large piece and stick it on where desired and then burnish the area to be foiled permanently. Then trim with a new hobby knife, leaving the strips where they need to be. Looking at the door panel, it would be an easy BMF job as long as you apply the BMF by the directions. Some where there is a link on how to use BMF.

Again, no offense if I am understanding you incorrectly. Just seems you are not familiar with how to use BMF and I am trying to help :)

Bill J...no offense taken at all. I am familiar with BMF application. Don't really have a problem with it EXCEPT for my 65 year old wobbly fingers trying to cut two parallel lines to make trim.

What my mission was with this whole thing was to trim consistent width pieces of foil for door trim and the like. I successfully cut the strips in BMF (using a tip from another gentleman on this site), but when I tried to pick the strips off of the backing paper...they ripped. BMF is so dog-gone thin.

I then got them cut out of regular old Reynolds wrap, but then needed a way to glue them in position.

Harry suggested using clear acrylic to "glue" the Reynolds into position. It worked pretty well. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks...D

Mike,

I succeeded with using the Reynolds wrap and clear acrylic, but I am still going to follow your suggestion and pick up a roll of this aluminum duct tape you mentioned. That may very well be strong enough to allow me to lift the darned little strips off the backing material without them ripping like the BMF does. I will let you know how I make out when I try it.

Thanks...D

Line O Tape makes self-adhesive pinstripe chrome in a variety of widths, plus other finishes like brushed steel, gold, etc. Just Google Line O Tape. Making extreme curves might be difficult.

I bought several packages of Line-o-tape at a yard sale for a buck- among the packages was a roll of 1/64" chrome tape, man that stuff is skinny!

Harry...I tried using semi-gloss acrylic clear to adhere the Reynolds... worked real well. Thanks

As a little added protection, you might want to consider painting a coat of the clear over the foil once it's applied, just a hair past the edges of the foil.

Ok Doug, I mistook what you were trying to do. Have you considered a fine chrome tape? I bought some awhile back from Amazon. I think I searched for chrome drafting tape.

Good luck, the door panels look great and if you have a system that works, good deal.

IMG_0314-vi.jpg

Don't know if you can see it, but the tiny little drip rail on the Chevette is covered with BMF. I cut the strip wide and just scored along the edges of the rail. I probably wasted 3 or 4 times the BMf that remains, but that's the way it's done!

If you were trying to put a chrome strip onto a door panel where none existed before, it's pretty much the same thing. If there's no line to follow, I use a metal straight edge to score along. You can do any width BMF line that way.

Now that I know exactly what you're doing, disregard my suggestion. I thought you were trying to create a piece of trim, not cover it. Duct tape is too thick to cover trim. Like Tom mentioned, you have to cut your BMF wider (roughly double the width) than the trim you're covering. Then, trim the excess away. For window trim, I cut my foil srips about 3-4 mms wide.