Model Cars Magazine Forum

How much paint?

I'm getting ready to order some Scale Finishes Arcadian Blue paint for my 1/12 Trumpeter GT40 project. I'm assuming that one 2oz. bottle will probably not be enough... Should two bottles do it? I'm going over Tamiya Fine White primer and clear coating with Testors Wet-Look Clear if necessary.

I normally get 2 bodies in 1/25-1/24 scale painted with one 2-oz bottle of Scalefinishes paint. I just painted a GT40 MKII with Guardsman Blue and it used less than a 1/4 of the bottle. Small body!

You'd likely be more than safe with 4 oz of Scalefinishes for the 1/12 GT-40.

I normally get 2 bodies in 1/25-1/24 scale painted with one 2-oz bottle of Scalefinishes paint. I just painted a GT40 MKII with Guardsman Blue and it used less than a 1/4 of the bottle. Small body!

You'd likely be more than safe with 4 oz of Scalefinishes for the 1/12 GT-40.

That's what I figured. I want to have a little left over for the inevitable touchups, etc. By 1/12 standards the GT40 is not a big car, but I don't want to be keeping my fingers crossed when I'm getting near the end of a big painting project.

Not exactly what you asked but a word about clear.

These cars were not gleaming lollipops when brand new. The color was shot and they went to the track. Most not even rubbed.

You may not care and just want a very glossy finish. If the Arcadian Blue is just a base and requires clear, I'd just do a mist or two of clear for max accuracy.

Jus' sayin'...

Never heard the term "gleaming lollipop" before, made me laugh :) I always called the overdone paint jobs on models "ceramic butter dishes" because some have so much paint on them they have little shape left.

Back on topic, I do think 4 oz will be more than enough, including some touchup. I always use a good primer under the Scalefinishes and have only had one bottle ever get weird on me and it was plain black.