Model Cars Magazine Forum

I Received A Compressor From Santa But,..........

...is this thing what I need and should I keep it?

silver_hardware.jpg

My Mother, bless her, always is trying to make me happy. Well my better half told her I needed a compressor so she went out and just bought one from Hobby Lobby. What she purchased was an Iwata Silver Jet. Now I know some about the compressors as I almost bought a Scorpion from Hobby Town. I even almost bought a couple of different ones from Hobby Lobby. But this one I have never heard of before.

Working pressure adjustable from 10-18 psi

Perfect for: Cosmetics, tanning, Hobbies/Models, Fingernail painting, General airbrushing, Bakery.

Includes: Pistol grip Filter, and coiled airhose.

I am just thrilled I can do bakery projects with this thing!

Now the stats on the box:

Air flow - .33cfm

RPM - 2600

Weight - 6.3 lbs

Size - 6x6x6 in

Max pressure - 40 psi

Volts - 115v/60 hz

Watt - 130W

So, here is where I need your help. What on earth do I do here? This thing looks like I should be opening up a salon next week and painting women's nails. Is this worth keeping? If you looked at the link and the specs it doesn't seem rated too well for hobbies. But at $170 it should be a pretty ###### nice compressor. As it also is an Iwata it should be a great compressor.

If you remember I received a Badger 150-07 Professional in June for my birthday. I kept that after learning from you all about it. But as it is not an Iwata will it work fine?

Please let me know what you all think. I love the fact she even cared enough to get me this but before I use it I want to make sure I have what will be durable and is what I need to last for a long time.

Should work just fine especially if you live in an apartment as the quiet compressor will not bother the neighbors.

As for the fittings... the Badger airbrush hose should connect as that fitting is a standard fitting. If not, hit your hardware store for a threaded fitting that will allow the two to connect. ME, I like quick disconnect fittings.....

Nice gift dude!

So Jairus, you think I should keep this then?

I have been reading everywhere that I should save the money and get a 2 or 3 gallon compressor from a hardware store - add a water trap - add a regulator - add an adaptor for the hose and that would be better. Yes I live in an apartment, but I am on the end of the unit and can hide it in the closet. I don't know enough about this particular Iwata. It seems to me like something suitable for a salon ro maybe I am wrong.

Should I go the route of a larger hardware store compressor?

hello there friend! In fact iwata is actually not a bad gun. i ran through alot of different airbrushes and have them still for many different uses. My opinion a brush like that i would keep. I even have the testors compressor with plastic gun cost was $60 still works after i year of long periods of run time. Its the plastic guns you have to watch out for. I had a Cresendo that is part of the iwata line. Still have it. Over all it is your choice. Only adds to your arsenal. HAhA!

Peace

Ajulia

hello there friend! In fact iwata is actually not a bad gun. i ran through alot of different airbrushes and have them still for many different uses. My opinion a brush like that i would keep. I even have the testors compressor with plastic gun cost was $60 still works after i year of long periods of run time. Its the plastic guns you have to watch out for. I had a Cresendo that is part of the iwata line. Still have it. Over all it is your choice. Only adds to your arsenal. HAhA!

Peace

Ajulia

Hey AJulia - I think someo confusion has come from your answer? I have a Badger brush, that is not an issue. My issue is with the above listed compressor. I am lost as to keep it or take it back and spend 2/3 of the cost and get a real compressor with water trap and regulator. Hope this helps.

If you live in an apartment, that is the type to go with because they are extremely quiet. But it depends on what you are planning to use the compressor for. This type of compressor is only good for applying paint.

There are a couple of areas that I see there could be issues with. One area is that it is a constant-run compressor and those types of compressors have the tendency to burn the motors up. If you have one with a tank, they end up lasting longer because you're not running the motor all the time. If you're like me, I do paint sessions for several hours.

Another area that might be a problem is that it has a very low cfm which limits what you can do with your compressor as far as other tools. If you do decide to go over to an air compressor with a tank on it, good ones to get are ones for nail guns. They come with a 2 to 6 gallon tank and usually have about 1 to 2 cfm, which gives more versatility. The prices are usually anywhere between $80 and $130. Harbor and Freight carries some generic brands that are reliable and inexpensive. A problem with this type of compressor, though, is that they are extremely noisy.

Hey AJulia - I think someo confusion has come from your answer? I have a Badger brush, that is not an issue. My issue is with the above listed compressor. I am lost as to keep it or take it back and spend 2/3 of the cost and get a real compressor with water trap and regulator. Hope this helps.

Jon, Does the compressor have a water trap and adjustable pressure regulator? If it does have these it should work just fine for your model building. The Iwata silver jet is a nice little compressor and should work just fine. Does it have automatic shutoff?

Another thing you can do is actually have this pump into a holding tank and run your air-brush from the holding tank, but you'll still need the adjustable pressure regulator as well as the water trap.

Plain and simple I would keep it and use it.

Good luck

Chris

It has a "pistol grip filter" what ever that means?! Is that a water filter or ? Since there is no tank it should never have condensation i would think. Since there is no oil it should never have that problem either. I am getting more and more confused here.

It only flows at .33 cfm! That really limits this to airbrushing but that is what it was made for. There is a simple "+/-" knob and a generic dial for the pressure. There is only an on/off switch.

I am beginning to think that I should get a 2-3 gallon compressor with a small tank. I can add the regulator and the water trap. Together all of this is seemingly cheaper than this Silver Jet.

On a side note, it looks like salon compressor, lol. (yes, this is trivial, but still....)

It has a "pistol grip filter" what ever that means?! Is that a water filter or ? Since there is no tank it should never have condensation i would think. Since there is no oil it should never have that problem either. I am getting more and more confused here.

It only flows at .33 cfm! That really limits this to airbrushing but that is what it was made for. There is a simple "+/-" knob and a generic dial for the pressure. There is only an on/off switch.

I am beginning to think that I should get a 2-3 gallon compressor with a small tank. I can add the regulator and the water trap. Together all of this is seemingly cheaper than this Silver Jet.

On a side note, it looks like salon compressor, lol. (yes, this is trivial, but still....)

What would bother me is that there is no air tank. I believe you need an air tank before you can install a water trap. Also I think it is highly over priced. It looks like the only advantage is that is very quiet. I have used my small "big box" compressor for inflating low tires as well as for my air brush, you won't have this option.

bob

I have the exact same compressor. As stated, it's tankless, that is, it runs all the time (no air storage capability). But so what? All you're going to do with it is paint models...you're not sandblasting graffiti off of underpasses!

It's perfectly suited for painting models, it's pretty quiet, it's a reputable brand, and best of all...you already have it! I see no reason to trade it for anything else.

I have the exact same compressor. As stated, it's tankless, that is, it runs all the time (no air storage capability). But so what? All you're going to do with it is paint models...you're not sandblasting graffiti off of underpasses!

It's perfectly suited for painting models, it's pretty quiet, it's a reputable brand, and best of all...you already have it! I see no reason to trade it for anything else.

And that is what I was needing to hear. Thanks Harry.

One more thing..... you still need a water trap!

Water comes from compressed air no matter if it has a tank or not. The water is IN the air and when it is compressed the air heats up while the hose remains cool so moisture condenses on the inside of the hose, flows down stream with the air and eventually out the brush unless you have a moisture trap.

I have a big tank so most of the moisture in my system runs down the inside of the tank to the bottom where I have to open a petcock to let it out now and then. Even so, I still have a moisture trap!

Yeah, I agree with the others. It's probably a decent set up. It does look like it has a moisture trap on the brush - and you do NOT need a tank for a moisture trap, but you should have one with or without a tank. Iwata makes good stuff, and I have never used a tank for airbrushing.

Just paint the ###### thing so it doesn't look like it belongs in a beauty parlor.

Edited by CAL