Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any Oz. V8 Supercar Kits?

I know there are some 1/32 scale and some 1/64 scale resin kits out there but I don't know the makers of them. There are quite a few diecasts, though.

You can always modify a Pontiac GTO and convert it into a Holden Commodore. I have considered doing this. I'll contact some of my friends who live in Australia and see if they know of any places that sell kits.

I know there are some 1/32 scale and some 1/64 scale resin kits out there but I don't know the makers of them. There are quite a few diecasts, though.

You can always modify a Pontiac GTO and convert it into a Holden Commodore. I have considered doing this. I'll contact some of my friends who live in Australia and see if they know of any places that sell kits.

I am pretty sure the Holden Commodores that are used in V8 Supercars are sedans and not coupes (GTO). It is basically OZ's touring sedan series; furthermore, they are rt hand drive. So that's not an option.

JDR2007.jpg

Edited by CAL

I am pretty sure the Holden Commodores that are used in V8 Supercars are sedans and not coupes (GTO). It is basically OZ's touring sedan series; furthermore, they are rt hand drive. So that's not an option.

JDR2007.jpg

I do know they are 4-door sedans but you could make the GTO work. The 2003 Commodores very closely resemble the GTO. It would be a lot of cutting and sanding as well as adding the doors to the car. I do know people who are attempting to do it. As for the right hand drive, you can cut up the dashboard to make it work.

My friend gave me a web site called www.biante.com.au/ He says that they make 1/32 and 1/64 kits that he knows of. He's not sure if they're die cast or resin. He doesn't know off hand of any plastic kits that are available.

I'm hoping at some point someone makes a kit of both the Ford Falcon and the Holden as either as plastic or resin in 1/24 scale. I do see a market for them. But with Ford possibly pulling out of the series, it might be just a Holden affair for the next few years. Ford/Australia is having money issues since all the cars are considered to be factory-supported cars. The trend is now to be smaller displacement and non V8's in the production cars.

Unfortunatly guys there are no kits being produced for any V8 Supercars, but you can get them in 1/64,1/43 and 1/18th scale Diecast and the most detailed are from ClassicCollectibles...................... http://www.classiccarlectables.com.au/aboutus.html ..................If anyone can make a plastic kit in 1/24 I'd almost bet Tamiya would be the first to do it but I'm not holding my breath!!!!!!!!

Edited by paul@detaildownunder

Hi Guys

The reason Biante don't make a 1:24th V8 Supercar is they know someone will take a mold off it and produce a body, a number of years ago there were some amt snaptite kits and there was one called Slammer I think, I did see someone try to turn it into a ford V8 supercar it was remarkably close to start off with, not sure if he ever got it done, I agree with Paul if anyone is going to do it it will be Tamiya, but unfortunately V8 supercars is money driven and becoming more so by the day and i think the Licensing fee asked by V8 supercars might just put it out of reach

Regards Mal

Mal and Paul,

Thanks for letting us know. I kind of figured that's what was happening with the V8 Supercars. I figured the licensing was coming into it. Have you guys heard anything about what's happening with Ford? There's not much coverage of the races in the U.S. They just show the highlights, but I'd enjoy seeing what they do show of them.

I do know they are 4-door sedans but you could make the GTO work. The 2003 Commodores very closely resemble the GTO. It would be a lot of cutting and sanding as well as adding the doors to the car. I do know people who are attempting to do it. As for the right hand drive, you can cut up the dashboard to make it work.

The 2004-06 GTO's were rebadged and nosed Holden Monaro's, which were based off of Holden's VT-VZ Commodore's. Aside from the number of doors, shorter boot, and slight top modifications, the Monaro's(GTO's) and Commodores are the exact same cars. They all share the same wheelbase, so modifying GTO to a larger Commodore wouldn't be too much of a strecth ;)